Algae problem

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, having a little problem with algae… it’s like little small leafs and keeps coming back…. I use a toothbrush to take it off but grows back after a week…. Is there anyway of stopping this from growing? Please find attached picture. Thanks
213ADF9A-C09D-4405-8792-040892FE4827.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters? Nitrate, phosphate, salinity
Lol. So, if they are high, that’s the cause, and if they are low, the algae is sucking them up?

Manual removal combined with an urchin would be my method of attack. A couple of snails would also be helpful. How big is the tank?

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd to see an ammonia reading. How old is your tank? What tests are you using? I'm assuming that is live rock from somewhere?

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your nitrate really is 10 ( Api ) and your nutrients have bottomed out, this would favour algae growth. The would clean up, but you need to find the cause or it will keep happening. My bet is lack of nutrients, based on your tests

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your nitrate really is 10 ( Api ) and your nutrients have bottomed out, this would favour algae growth. The would clean up, but you need to find the cause or it will keep happening. My bet is lack of nutrients, based on your tests
I will take to a local shop who have a digital water tester… see what results they get. If they have bottomed out what do i do to solve the issue?

OP
OP
M

malas_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a water sample to lfs and get them to test your water, then make a decision, based on there tests, but don,t feel pressured to buy any quick fix potion, ask them to test all parameters
Finally got to lfs to do a water test…. Results were as follows

Attachments

• 0DA1FC28-AA07-4112-ADCB-CFCE0869884C.jpeg
    0DA1FC28-AA07-4112-ADCB-CFCE0869884C.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 30

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got to lfs to do a water test…. Results were as follows
Nutrients don,t look that bad, phos a little high, what's concerning is your alk, if that's a measurement of ppm, which I think is about 6.2 dkh and your mag is extremely low.

What salt are you using? How do you manage alk, cal and mag ( water changes or dosing )

Back to your original problem, I would manually remove algae, increase algae eating cuc .
Out of interest what did the lfs recommend?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa prolifera is invasive even when your params are on point, alot of fish eat it most snails aren't fans. My tangs would never let it get a foothold. If you have a big enough tank they work well but if not manual removal will work eventually its just a long battle it will keep growing back from whatever pieces are still wedged in the rock. The trick is persistence because its not strong enough to grow back forever if you keep pulling it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back