Algae problems/zoas not opening up - what do you recommend?

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 70 new morphs of zoa. Some of them are looking really good but others are closed and have algae on both plug and the lower parts of some polyps.

I've tried brushing them gently with a soft tooth brush - they didnt like it.

I've dipped against pest.

I've dipped in H2o2 - 1/5 H202 and 4/5 water from aquarium, conc 3% for 1 min.

I don't see a positiv outcome so far so was wondering what do you recommend?

What concentration and time do you use when dipping in H2o2?

@footgal

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip in straight h2o2 (3%) for 2 mins then throw them back in the tank. In a few days plugs will be clean. Some zoas open up right away after this. Some take a few days. I do this and have had no issues.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try an iodine dip for the zoas.

Lightly tint the water with iodine. Dip zoas for 5-10 minutes (put tank water in a container with iodine)

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with dyerrm. The H2O2 dip was a good idea but you just didn’t have enough intensity. I really like 50% H2O2 50% tank water for 2-3 minutes but her 100% H2O2 method works well too :)

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with dyerrm. The H2O2 dip was a good idea but you just didn’t have enough intensity. I really like 50% H2O2 50% tank water for 2-3 minutes but her 100% H2O2 method works well too :)
Do you use 3% both methods?

I've used to strong before and melted some polyps.. but that was 12-25% so might be ok in 3% :)

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal @dyerrm

Ok.. so I've done the dip. Only a couple of individual polyps open up today - will give them a week and see what results I've got.

Some other questions..

I have 79 new morphs.

Some of them hasn't opened since I bought them - that's the pcs I dipped.

Some of the others have alot of algae on the plugs - they still open up but theres always some polyp on each frag that's closed. It varies which.

42 morphs are placed in the frag section - less light and almost still water - they open up and doesnt have algae.

What would you do? Dip them all? The ones with algae?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal @dyerrm

Ok.. so I've done the dip. Only a couple of individual polyps open up today - will give them a week and see what results I've got.

Some other questions..

I have 79 new morphs.

Some of the others have alot of algae on the plugs - they still open up but theres always some polyp on each frag that's closed. It varies which.

42 morphs are placed in the frag section - less light and almost still water - they open up and doesnt have algae.

I would just dip the ones with algae and call it a day. Use a toothbrush to kinda scrape off the algae after the dip and you should be good to go

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just dip the ones with algae and call it a day. Use a toothbrush to kinda scrape off the algae after the dip and you should be good to go
I didnt brush the ones i dipped. Is that a big problem? Dip/brush again or wait? Still some Green algae on the plugs

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some white zombies that stayed closed for 4 months after I got them before mysteriously opening completely one day. Some zoa are strange. like @footgal says above you can go WAY higher on your H202 dips concentration I do 2-1 H202 to tank water and mine come out fine with no more algae.
@footgal @dyerrm

Some other questions..

I have 79 new morphs.

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some white zombies that stayed closed for 4 months after I got them before mysteriously opening completely one day. Some zoa are strange. like @footgal says above you can go WAY higher on your H202 dips concentration I do 2-1 H202 to tank water and mine come out fine with no more algae.
Update..

I used H2O2 on almost all the frags. Some are looking really good but some melted/died.. Is it safe to say that the ones that died almost certainly would have died anyway of did I kill them when dipping them in a weak state?

Dipped some more high end today and a little bit nervous this time. I tried 100% H202 for 2 minutes but in the middle of the dip I became aware about the salinity change.. from normal salinity to H202 must mean from 36 PSU to 0 PSU.. that cant be good.. or is it of no importance since it's such a short period of time?

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% H2O2 used in a 1:1 ratio
When using 1:1 or even 100% H202 - the salinity will make a drastic change.. do you think this could or have an impact on weaker zoas and thats why all zoas doesnt make the dip (some one dies)

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using 1:1 or even 100% H202 - the salinity will make a drastic change.. do you think this could or have an impact on weaker zoas and thats why all zoas doesnt make the dip (some one dies)
I don’t think that’s the reason some don’t survive. The H2O2 damages/kills anything it touches which is why it’s effective against algae. I’m pretty sure that the H2O2 kills zoas sometimes because they’re already weak/sick and don’t have a slime coat to protect them and they get damaged

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that’s the reason some don’t survive. The H2O2 damages/kills anything it touches which is why it’s effective against algae. I’m pretty sure that the H2O2 kills zoas sometimes because they’re already weak/sick and don’t have a slime coat to protect them and they get damaged

Ok. Do you think theres a way to tell before dipping?

Whats the most expensive zoa you've dipped?

Yesterday I dipped an entire rock with speckled kraks, KH sunburst, bowtie blaster and date nights.. kind of nervous now.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Do you think theres a way to tell before dipping?

Whats the most expensive zoa you've dipped?

Yesterday I dipped an entire rock with speckled kraks, KH sunburst, bowtie blaster and date nights.. kind of nervous now.
Dipped Inceptions, retails at $300 per head 0.0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back