Algae question before it takes over

TheSharksDen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friend.

I had the same issue in my RS-525. It lasted for months trying to do it the pick and add things way. I removed as much by hand as I could get and then used a tooth brush to brush the rocks. I then used a siphon from DT into sump but ran the water thru the filter sock so I wasn’t doing a massive water change but would keep filtering what was rubbed off.

Then I used attached picture and followed the direction. Turn off skimmer for 2 weeks during this process. Mix it in a bowl and then add to your DT. After 10 days I did a 3 day black out at the very end (turned off all lights) and only allowed natural light in. At the 14 day period it was all gone then I did another brush with tooth brush and a 20% water change. It literally got it all out (100%).

The first time I tried it a few months ago I didn’t do all the steps in the paragraph above. I only mixed and added and waited and it helped but didn’t remove all. The second attempt above with all the cleaning before and the black out worked 100% for me.

This DID NOT AFFECT MY FISH OR CORALS.

Hope this helps. You can search my name and see I posted about this a few times to others.

Attachments

• IMG_4074.png
    IMG_4074.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 29

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friend.

I had the same issue in my RS-525. It lasted for months trying to do it the pick and add things way. I removed as much by hand as I could get and then used a tooth brush to brush the rocks. I then used a siphon from DT into sump but ran the water thru the filter sock so I wasn’t doing a massive water change but would keep filtering what was rubbed off.

Then I used attached picture and followed the direction. Turn off skimmer for 2 weeks during this process. Mix it in a bowl and then add to your DT. After 10 days I did a 3 day black out at the very end (turned off all lights) and only allowed natural light in. At the 14 day period it was all gone then I did another brush with tooth brush and a 20% water change. It literally got it all out (100%).

The first time I tried it a few months ago I didn’t do all the steps in the paragraph above. I only mixed and added and waited and it helped but didn’t remove all. The second attempt above with all the cleaning before and the black out worked 100% for me.

This DID NOT AFFECT MY FISH OR CORALS.

Hope this helps. You can search my name and see I posted about this a few times to others.
This is the same product I used for gha. I worked awesome at taking out the algae. Unfortunately I then ended with a dad case of cyano. Given a choice I'd take the algae any day.
Just mentioning this because while it does kill algae there are risks that people should be aware of before using it. This is just a sample. I had no visible cyano until after using the flux
20230407_170707.jpg

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is the same product I used for gha. I worked awesome at taking out the algae. Unfortunately I then ended with a dad case of cyano. Given a choice I'd take the algae any day.
Just mentioning this because while it does kill algae there are risks that people should be aware of before using it. This is just a sample. I had no visible cyano until after using the flux
20230407_170707.jpg
Man, same thing here but not nearly to this extent. I just wrapped up my Flucanazole treatment about 7-10 days ago, it knocked back the Bryopsis in 4 days, and did some damage to GHA, however, only about 80%, about 20% of the former growth sites are dark and appear to be “germinating”. I always had this small are of red like coloring in one of the corners of my tank, about a 1 inch square for perspective. I now have red dust like on all my wave makers, red like dust covered 1/3 of sand and it coats my glass as well. Didn’t have this prior to treating for Bryopsis.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230407_170707.jpg
I never had this issue . During treatment I added microbactor 7 and watched my parameters. After treatment I did have my nitrates and phosphates were zeroing out , I had to dose for about a week or two after but eventually they came back to normal and business as usual except no more bryopsis :cool: You have to leave it in for at least 3 weeks and if phosphates get high I used phosphat-e from brightwell once and with nitrates I feed less as during treatment as no water changes . Plus adding microbactor 7 was a big help which i believe in your case would have probably out competed you cyano before it started . I added about every three days during and I stopped after treatment because it was helping to zero out my nitrates . If I ever end up with bryopsis again I will use flux rx without hesitation . But that’s my choice and others will be reluctant. I was at first but got tired of it coming back after manual removal . It also took out gha . During treatment i felt it was important to run my skimmer without the cup , keeping the water well oxygenated . I’m sure a airstone would have worked as well .

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, same thing here but not nearly to this extent. I just wrapped up my Flucanazole treatment about 7-10 days ago, it knocked back the Bryopsis in 4 days, and did some damage to GHA, however, only about 80%, about 20% of the former growth sites are dark and appear to be “germinating”. I always had this small are of red like coloring in one of the corners of my tank, about a 1 inch square for perspective. I now have red dust like on all my wave makers, red like dust covered 1/3 of sand and it coats my glass as well. Didn’t have this prior to treating for Bryopsis.
I never had this issue . During treatment I added microbactor 7 and watched my parameters. After treatment I did have my nitrates and phosphates were zeroing out , I had to dose for about a week or two after but eventually they came back to normal and business as usual except no more bryopsis :cool: You have to leave it in for at least 3 weeks and if phosphates get high I used phosphat-e from brightwell once and with nitrates I feed less as during treatment as no water changes . Plus adding microbactor 7 was a big help which i believe in your case would have probably out competed you cyano before it started . I added about every three days during and I stopped after treatment because it was helping to zero out my nitrates . If I ever end up with bryopsis again I will use flux rx without hesitation . But that’s my choice and others will be reluctant. I was at first but got tired of it coming back after manual removal . It also took out gha .
Cyano is a bacteria . Make sure your phosphates and or nitrates are not zeroed out and as stated adding a bacteria like microbactor 7 or dr Tim’s etc . Can help out compete cyano plus to completely remove bryopsis and green hair algae the treatment imo should be at least 3 weeks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back