How do public aquariums avoid algae?

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently visited the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA and one of the things that caught my attention is the lack of any algae in their exhibits. Even the sea lions exhibit, whose water was visibly murky, looked very clean of algae.

Is this simply due to the constant turnover replaced with seawater, where nutrient levels are much, much lower than reef aquariums?

I’m sure they do a lot of maintenance but the lack of algae in their reef tanks was beyond what can be maintained by scrubbing.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people get paid to keep tanks algae free, unlike our tanks lol
Yeah, they have a team of divers that go in daily and scrub everything. Plus you're a far enough distance from the rocks that you don't notice small amounts covering everything, unlike us whose rocks are a few inches from the glass.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @rennjidk stated, almost all large/public aquariums have staff and volunteers that clean the tanks.

For example, I know both the Florida Aquarium and Tennessee Aquarium allow you to sign up to volunteer to clean tanks if have a scuba certification. These volunteers then get divided up each day for what tank they're diving in to clean.

I would expect the shallower/touch tanks, are cleaned using a scrub brush by staff and volunteers as well without the need to dive.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They don’t! I’ve seen some atrocious looking public aquariums. For the ones that don’t have any…they have divers that go in and literally scrub and manually clean all the surfaces in addition to being very large and well established systems with massive filtration behind the scenes. So it’s not that they don’t have algae they just keep their tanks so pristine most of the time you don’t see it.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently visited the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA and one of the things that caught my attention is the lack of any algae in their exhibits. Even the sea lions exhibit, whose water was visibly murky, looked very clean of algae.

Is this simply due to the constant turnover replaced with seawater, where nutrient levels are much, much lower than reef aquariums?

I’m sure they do a lot of maintenance but the lack of algae in their reef tanks was beyond what can be maintained by scrubbing.
Low light and dose vibrant ! :grinning-squinting-face:

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @rennjidk stated, almost all large/public aquariums have staff and volunteers that clean the tanks.

For example, I know both the Florida Aquarium and Tennessee Aquarium allow you to sign up to volunteer to clean tanks if have a scuba certification. These volunteers then get divided up each day for what tank they're diving in to clean.

I would expect the shallower/touch tanks, are cleaned using a scrub brush by staff and volunteers as well without the need to dive.
I had no clue the Tennessee Aquarium allowed this!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baltimore Aquarium, uses Divers. I’ve seen them with hoses, nozzles and brushes cleaning the rock, which I believe is fake. Calvert Marine Museum uses portable UV, also they use UV on the Air Handlers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It varies depending on the life support systems involved. For marine mammal pools, ozone and low dose chlorine help control algae.

For fish-only exhibits, control is through managing lighting, nutrients and then manual removal.

For reef exhibits, control is the same with your home aquariums, removal by CUC and nutrient management.

In some cases, algae is left to grow, except on the front viewing window.....

Jay

Everclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the Shedd here in Chicago, aside from drivers cleaning, they have a driver go in the giant round tank by the entrance multiple times daily to hand feed and talk about the fish in the tank. At least they did before COVID, i haven't been in awhile.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's amazing how little a well balanced, mature tank takes to keep pristine. The problems start when we do too much. 30min twice a month is all it should take once the coralline takes hold. I lived by that mantra for a decade. Now, I can't keep my hands out of the tank and chase problem after problem. In the end, we are reefers not observers. We can't help ourselves. It's better than smoking crack I suppose.

RFGuy_KCCO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back