Purple rock rocks! Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

• My tank is overrun with coralline algae.

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I have a manageable amount of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 143 37.5%
  • I have just a bit of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 133 34.9%
  • I have had coralline in the past, but not currently.

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • I have never had coralline algae in my tank.

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.4%

• Total voters

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be no problem I feel 'back in the day' of starting with all live rock. I've struggled to get meaningful purple/red growth starting with dry rock until over a year in, even after the bottled stuff. All For Reef seemed to increase growth. There was some green stuff that seemed calciforous but not as thick or smooth as the purple stuff that grew in. My dry rock overall is pretty ugly and I'll never do it again except for base rock/rubble.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline grows everywhere and it's such a pita. I have to clean the front pane all the time.
My tank was being over run with it and then… once I went bacteria driven like Sunny x it’s starting to die off on all surfaces and he always mentions he can’t grow corraline at all and never has in any of his tanks.. I’m not sure the correlation here but the only thing I can think of is the corals out compete the corraline for elements that’s why they grow faster with gut loaded bacteria. And the corraline fades away.
Seriously? I will have to try this.
I have read his thread, what are you doing?

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple rock rocks! Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

Some people love coralline algae, and some people hate it. It can be both the sign of a healthy tank and an unsightly nuisance that can be a challenge to clean especially if it is allowed to build up. However, let’s step beyond the pros and cons of coralline or your personal opinion of this type of algae and focus on a simple question – do you have coralline algae in your tank right now? We’d love to see pictures of your coralline algae so feel free to share with the R2R community in the related thread!

NerdistAquarist_Coralline.jpeg

Photo by @Nerdist Aquarist

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
This is mine. Seems like manageable compared to some of these pictures.
IMG_0828.jpg

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any grow thought out the years with different tank size and bio along the way. To be honest... I don't like the look of it, plus is a headache if get out of control.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline grows everywhere and it's such a pita. I have to clean the front pane all the time.
Seriously? I will have to try this.
I have read his thread, what are you doing?
It’s really weird! It almost looks like something is eating it haha! It’s just flaking off rocks and leaving white circles. I carbon dose and use zeobak and mb7
IMG_2868.jpeg
IMG_2867.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 10 months now, acros since 5-6 months, coralline around 4 months. Started from all dry rock, corralline came from bottle originally and added from snails additionally. Pictures are with and without blue filter and also veggie clip

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4912.jpeg
    IMG_4912.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4913.jpeg
    IMG_4913.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 58

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like it to colonize the black acrylic back walls of my AIOs, but it seems to avoid the acrylic for some reason. Can't get star polyps up there either. :thinking-face:
Try purchasing a purple Reef Rax magnetic nano rock. Glue GPS onto it and it will spread onto the acrylic wall. I’ve tried icy gel glue, and that method for me has about 25% success rate. What’s really nice about using the rock is it adds three dimension and texture as opposed to flat appearance. See photos. I ordered the refracts on bulk resupply. I used the double frag rock as it’s bigger and allows a bulbus protrusion as opposed to a shelf like protrusion of the single plug. Either would do fine most likely.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 54

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae? Never heard of it.

I purposely don’t clean 3 sides of my glass so that I can keep my 2 rock urchins fed. They eat lots of coralline.
IMG_6932.jpeg

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RED!!! RED!!! RED!!! I have some purple coralline algae but the overall majority is Red! Not complaining, I just don’t see it often/ever?
IMG_4068.jpeg

Try purchasing a purple Reef Rax magnetic nano rock. Glue GPS onto it and it will spread onto the acrylic wall. I’ve tried icy gel glue, and that method for me has about 25% success rate. What’s really nice about using the rock is it adds three dimension and texture as opposed to flat appearance. See photos. I ordered the refracts on bulk resupply. I used the double frag rock as it’s bigger and allows a bulbus protrusion as opposed to a shelf like protrusion of the single plug. Either would do fine most likely.
How thick is your glass? I want to do this but my glass is 1/2 so I’m not sure if that magnetic rock would stick. How long did it get for the GSP to grow to that point for you?

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is your glass? I want to do this but my glass is 1/2 so I’m not sure if that magnetic rock would stick. How long did it get for the GSP to grow to that point for you?
My gsp on my second tank took about a month to grow and fully cover my frag rack, but then for whatever reason it took about a year before it actually grew up onto the glass, then it started spreading at an okay pace

padilla95624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JPEG_20240227_183833_9147236686086389337.jpg
I can't keep it off the glass in my clown tank but it will not grow in my SPS tank

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I never seen it grow in 7-10 days. Thank you buy the way! Anuther thing he replied is… “ there’s no way detritus could b in my specimen because he grows it on glossy tile and scraped it into the jar! “ “ Makes no sense seeing that what was in my jar was tiny bits of branching coralline! No flakes or color in the water. I think he pulls it out the ocean . He livesin the Floridas keys! But he sold 30,000 of thoes he said! Lol I told him he should b ashamed to tell people that! Not bragging! Thanks for the feedback!
Oh and one more point his instructions say 7-10 days and you will see growth its been 3 weeks, nada.
I know it!

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank without coralline is like a forest without moss: not seasoned yet! I let it take over the back and non-viewing side of my tank, love the look personally. Sure it takes some diligence to keep it off the front, but it outcompetes much uglier and more annoying algaes. Moar! Wish I could get more red to grow though, mostly purple with some pink here.

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnets are very strong. My glass is 10 mm. Check Reef Rax website as they provides the specs. The speed of growth is a year. Starts off fast then maybe as it reached to the top ot slowed and began more horizontal spreading.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the coraline in my tank has been active for 8 months and I have a massive flourish of purple coraline also have a red/deep red coraline and also have a black starting and in very scattered spots I have a yellowy/green coraline happening

So multi functional colours but the purple is out competing all colours so far

Have a black backing so I keep the glass clean but I keep the black back and water column collecting it as I want that to overthrow the back scape of the tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a small amount of coralline algae in my tanks, but not like when I used mh lighting. Maybe it's the bluer spectrum I use now. I'm just not sure. I do like it and don't mind scraping it off the front glass panel.
Something interesting I found last week while doing long overdue work on my 240. In my external overflow, it was jamb packed with a type of branching coralline. It surprised me there was so much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back