Purple rock rocks! Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

• My tank is overrun with coralline algae.

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I have a manageable amount of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 143 37.5%
  • I have just a bit of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 133 34.9%
  • I have had coralline in the past, but not currently.

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • I have never had coralline algae in my tank.

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Some people love coralline algae, and some people hate it. It can be both the sign of a healthy tank and an unsightly nuisance that can be a challenge to clean especially if it is allowed to build up. However, let’s step beyond the pros and cons of coralline or your personal opinion of this type of algae and focus on a simple question – do you have coralline algae in your tank right now? We’d love to see pictures of your coralline algae so feel free to share with the R2R community in the related thread!

NerdistAquarist_Coralline.jpeg

Photo by @Nerdist Aquarist

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a manageable amount. i'm only worried about the CA that grow on the glass other than the back glass. rocks, back glass, sand are good to go for CA lol.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like it to colonize the black acrylic back walls of my AIOs, but it seems to avoid the acrylic for some reason. Can't get star polyps up there either. :thinking-face:

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. My tank is 10 months in now and I have zip. The only bit I have is on the same frag plugs it came on with corals half a year ago. It will not spread. It started growing on my nero pump, and a few small spots on my glass. But it all died off during a very stupid mistake with the accidental overdose of nopox, which I then stopped cold turkey in a knee-jerk response to the nopox causing a bacterial slime colony that clogged and killed my nitrifying bio media. It's removal and the die off caused an ammonia spike I almost lost the tank to had I not overnighted some fritz900.

Long story short, I lost one small clam, one snail, and one cristata torch to an ammonia spike, but the rest of the tank lives. And the coralline I did have has turned white and flaked away and dissolved.

If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears. I battle high nitrates (20-40ppm) constantly and fight them weekly with 5 gallon (40%) water changes. I believe this is why I can't get it to grow. Not sure why my nitrates are like this, as I feed the single clownfish every other day, by hand and stop feeding when she loses interest as to not overfeed.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something interesting I've noticed over the last few years is that coraline algae seems to have a tough time competing for space on cement.

I've got cement and aragonite coated PVC in my tank. It was done by spraying the PVC with water, dusting with Portland cement, spraying, rolling in semi-rough aragonite, and repeat.

After 3-4 years now, the coraline grows on the glass and other rocks, but is virtually non existent on the cement coated surfaces. I find a spot here and there from time to time, but it doesn't stick long.

Typical nuisance algae on the other hand, seems to thrive on it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was being over run with it and then… once I went bacteria driven like Sunny x it’s starting to die off on all surfaces and he always mentions he can’t grow corraline at all and never has in any of his tanks.. I’m not sure the correlation here but the only thing I can think of is the corals out compete the corraline for elements that’s why they grow faster with gut loaded bacteria. And the corraline fades away.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot on my overflow boxes and rocks. I've kept it scraped off the glass. I believe it was very important in the early stability of my tank, particularly with the control of nitrates, before my corals began to grow.

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some people love coralline algae, and some people hate it. It can be both the sign of a healthy tank and an unsightly nuisance that can be a challenge to clean especially if it is allowed to build up. However, let’s step beyond the pros and cons of coralline or your personal opinion of this type of algae and focus on a simple question – do you have coralline algae in your tank right now? We’d love to see pictures of your coralline algae so feel free to share with the R2R community in the related thread!

TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

TSABanner2.jpeg

So I currently have some green calcurios algae. Does that count? I also just recieved a coriline purchase from Addicted reefing! Hear me out! It was supposed to b a 4-8 ounce container of 4 different types of
1709055889188.jpeg
coriline this is what was advertised!
The next pic will be the first product I recieved and still put in my tank because of his advice.
1709056423509.jpeg
don’t think I need to say what happened with that but he did send me anuther one and this is
1709056717942.png
now am I wrong for being disappointed in this purchase please if I am tell me ! This don’t look like the advertised product does it? But that’s the 4 kinds of coralline I’ll b adding to me tank from Addictted Reefing! He assured me not to knock it till I try it! He sold over 23,000 units of this with little complaints. Maybe I’m wrong I told him I’ll get back to him! Please feedback is greatly
1709057362124.jpeg
!one more photo. Would you guys b happy with that?

Attachments

• 1709056599566.jpeg
    1709056599566.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 52

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TSABanner2.jpeg

My Halloween urchins keep it under control

GunnarH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It grows so fast in my 32 gal I have a hard time keeping it off the glass. I do have a Tuxedo urchin, but there's no way it can keep the coralline in check all by itself.

I dose MB7 and NP-Bacto-Balance daily, but it's made no difference to the coralline growth. I also dose All-for-Reef, which I guess is rocket fuel for the coralline? Either way, my corals are happy and growing fast, so I guess the coralline growth is just the price I have to pay.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrape all 4 sides of glass, overflow, powerheads, ect... urchins keep it knocked down on the rocks. It does help prevent some nuisance algaes, but can become one itself if allowed to take over.

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have little. I started with dry rock, I’m 2+ years in, SPS and clam are thriving. But not much noticeable to me. That’s after four bottles of the coralline in a bottle!

I'm colorblind so who knows. I see very faint pink on the rocks, so I know it’s there, just not a ton.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have some green calcurios algae. Does that count? I also just recieved a coriline purchase from Addicted reefing! Hear me out! It was supposed to b a 4-8 ounce container of 4 different types of
1709055889188.jpeg
The next pic will be the first product I recieved and still put in my tank because of his advice.
1709056423509.jpeg
don’t think I need to say what happened with that but he did send me anuther one and this is
1709056717942.png
now am I wrong for being disappointed in this purchase please if I am tell me ! This don’t look like the advertised product does it? But that’s the 4 kinds of coralline I’ll b adding to me tank from Addictted Reefing! He assured me not to knock it till I try it! He sold over 23,000 units of this with little complaints. Maybe I’m wrong I told him I’ll get back to him! Please feedback is greatly
1709057362124.jpeg
Same exact thing here. What a scam.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1709055889188.jpeg
1709056423509.jpeg
1709056717942.png
1709057362124.jpeg
Oh and one more point his instructions say 7-10 days and you will see growth its been 3 weeks, nada.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back