Purple rock rocks! Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

• My tank is overrun with coralline algae.

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I have a manageable amount of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 143 37.5%
  • I have just a bit of coralline algae right now.

Votes: 133 34.9%
  • I have had coralline in the past, but not currently.

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • I have never had coralline algae in my tank.

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.4%

• Total voters

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank without coralline is like a forest without moss: not seasoned yet! I let it take over the back and non-viewing side of my tank, love the look personally. Sure it takes some diligence to keep it off the front, but it outcompetes much uglier and more annoying algaes. Moar! Wish I could get more red to grow though, mostly purple with some pink here.
That's interesting. I have never had it on the front glass but always on the back and some on the sides

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you diligently scrape the front, you might never notice coralline growing since it is pretty slow to start. But one of my favorite signs in a new tank is those first colonies of coralline showing up on the glass/overflow/powerheads

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple rock rocks! Do you have coralline algae in your tank right now?

Some people love coralline algae, and some people hate it. It can be both the sign of a healthy tank and an unsightly nuisance that can be a challenge to clean especially if it is allowed to build up. However, let’s step beyond the pros and cons of coralline or your personal opinion of this type of algae and focus on a simple question – do you have coralline algae in your tank right now? We’d love to see pictures of your coralline algae so feel free to share with the R2R community in the related thread!

NerdistAquarist_Coralline.jpeg

Photo by @Nerdist Aquarist

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

If you diligently scrape the front, you might never notice coralline growing since it is pretty slow to start. But one of my favorite signs in a new tank is those first colonies of coralline showing up on the glass/overflow/powerheads

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bottle coralline a year ago both purple and pink and have loads of both in my tank currently.

Attachments

• 20240301_092917.jpg
    20240301_092917.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240301_092907.jpg
    20240301_092907.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 22

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its a surprise to me that people hate it. I want to hear more. It is hard to get going. In my case it just appeared. I was told its very beneficial, but never read why. I was also told by a sole owner of a coral store if you scrub it it will spread better. Any experience shedding more light?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well its a surprise to me that people hate it. I want to hear more. It is hard to get going. In my case it just appeared. I was told its very beneficial, but never read why. I was also told by a sole owner of a coral store if you scrub it it will spread better. Any experience shedding more light?
I always thought that it "helps" prevent other algaes from taking starting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back