Algae reactor idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just throwing an idea regarding my Algae reactor and would like some opinions. i have a redsea reefer 350 that has been running the full triton method for around a month. instead of a refugium im using a ALR2 algae reactor. i have set a pump under the filter sock area so that it catches crud from the display. this gets pumped through chaeto and returned into the main entrance section before going through the filter area again. this way i dont have to worry about the mess from a fuge and everything is contained.

guyhives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just throwing an idea regarding my Algae reactor and would like some opinions. i have a redsea reefer 350 that has been running the full triton method for around a month. instead of a refugium im using a ALR2 algae reactor. i have set a pump under the filter sock area so that it catches crud from the display. this gets pumped through chaeto and returned into the main entrance section before going through the filter area again. this way i dont have to worry about the mess from a fuge and everything is contained.
Hi

I just wondered how the Triton method was going doing it with ALR2? I was thinking about doing the same.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still run Full TRITON Method Core7 Base Elements with this system but there are a few limitations:

1) A refugium is an excellent way to export nutrient but also has the added benefit of maintaining a full range of microfauna (copepods, isopods, amphipods, etc...) which in turn feed the corals and filter feeders in the display tank.
2) Algae reactors are very good at growing Chaeto but many other algae won't grow due to the limited LED light spectrum.
3) Filter socks remove a lot of microfauna that are beneficial to your reef aquarium. I have spoken to many people that have had better success after removing filter socks/roller mats as this then allowed natural filter feeders to proliferate. These filter feeders are often the best way to improve water clarity and ensure the general health of your reef aquarium.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back