Algae removal on zoas

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of redoing my tank and transferring to my new one. Well my tank I have now has gotten a bad case of green hair algae and has grown on some coral. How can I eventually remove it so in can transfer zoas to new tank and not have algae spread.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had some success removing some types of algae mixed in on a zoanthid frag using a hydrogen peroxide dip.
I use the common stuff at your local drug store ( or in your medicine cabinet that is 3%). I mix it at 30% HP to 70% tank water and leave them in it for 2-3 minutes.
Rinse real well and then I even hold the frag in front of a powerhead for 15-20 seconds to make sure all the HP is off the frag.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was going to suggest a H2O2 dip. 50/50 for five minutes. I did this to a zoa rock that had a bad case of HA about a year ago. It livened them up amazingly. They are growing off the rock now and have never looked better.

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've peroxide dripped my captain America's some withered and died after. Maybe my concentration was too high. It sucks but I do it by hand now. Every couple of weeks, gives me a chance to see how they are growing too, I'm use tweezers too haha

Johmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work on all corals or only certain kinds. Last night I took all of the rock out of my tank and plucked hair till I was green - LOL. I have a mixture of LPS, Zoas, shrooms.

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the hydrogen peroxide dip, just do a very small amount of H2O2 if in fear, and also manual removal. If using hydrogen then there may be some bubbles that occur on the zoes, all normal!

Hope you can take care of the problem before its top late. I lost a nice frag of Darth mauls because I was too late.

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it helps the zoas out if they are closed up before the. Use a turkey baster to gently blow on them making them close. Or you can remove them after lights out and they are already closed. I've poured straight hydrogen peroxide on them while closed up.
Remove the Frag (zoos polyps closed)
Hold over a drop pan and poor hydrogen peroxide on the Frag
Let fizz for about 30sec-1min
Rinse with RO water
This is a quicker method and I've had a 99% success rate. Plus the hermits love to eat the leftover dead algae if any is left

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it helps the zoas out if they are closed up before the. Use a turkey baster to gently blow on them making them close. Or you can remove them after lights out and they are already closed. I've poured straight hydrogen peroxide on them while closed up.
Remove the Frag (zoos polyps closed)
Hold over a drop pan and poor hydrogen peroxide on the Frag
Let fizz for about 30sec-1min
Rinse with RO water
This is a quicker method and I've had a 99% success rate. Plus the hermits love to eat the leftover dead algae if any is left
any chance that this would kill aiptasia also

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work on all corals or only certain kinds. Last night I took all of the rock out of my tank and plucked hair till I was green - LOL. I have a mixture of LPS, Zoas, shrooms.
You can use the method i described in my last post. Just hold it over a bucket so you can catch

the peroxide and use it over again. Careful not to do too many liverocks at once as you will kill off too much beneficial bacteria

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
any chance that this would kill aiptasia also

No.

Not if you are trying to do a dip with a coral and a aptasia.
The coral would croak at about the same time as the aptasia.

Last edited:

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, best natural method for killing Aspasia is either peppermint shrimp (natural prey item) or inject them with lemon juice directly in the mouth with a syringe

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back