Algae Scrubber and nutrients... Do they work to well?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 1/2 years into the hobby now and everytime I feel like I am mastering things something else pops up lol. So this popped up while looking into best alkalinity levels. I ran into lots of discussion on alk vs nutrients. I am on the cusp of beating a massive GHA outbreak that covered everything. I tried many things and what finaly worked for me was to run GFO, heavy skimming, with my algae scrubber on 24/7, and manual removal of GHA from the display. I am finaly at a point where 95% of the GHA is out of the display and growing heavily in my scrubber. ;Woot When reading about alk levels I started reading about SPS burnt tips, low vs high nutrients, etc and it got me thinking. My levels right now are consistant

Alk 8.7-9.2 dkh (depending on time of day)
Calc 390 ppm
Mg 1400 ppm
N 0
P 0

So even during my GHA outbrake my N and P registered 0 probably due to the growth. Now that its all growing in the scrubber they are still reading 0. So is the scrubber plus GFO cleaning to well? How do I increase the nutrients in the tank just feed heavier? When is good to run super clean vs a little dirty? I have a mixed reef of Acros, duncans, montis, stylo, acan, trachy, brains, stunner, zoas, etc.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, there is a difference between zero and not measurable, particularly with hobbyist grade test kits. As long as you feed the tank, N and P are never going to be truly zero. That algae grows on the scrubber means you are OK. I've been running scrubbers of various form since reading Walter Adey's seminal book on the subject; so, 1995 .... maybe? Never had reason to abandon them; they work well. Perhaps not as the sole form of export, but in concert with other things. Let the look of your corals be your guide.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes sense, I am thinking that now that I have things under control removing the GFO from my reactor and shelfing it incase I need it again. In my 2 1/2 years this was the first time I had ever used GFO and it was to strictly to get control of the GHA. (My son over fed for a month). In the past I would get maybe .02 P readings and even that was iffy just becuase it was hard to tell from the chart coloring.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both ATS and a chaeto refugium and find that I have no need for GFO (and I feed my tank a lot). I have it on hand, just in case; but I don't typically run it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back