Algae Scrubber and refugium, same/same or different?

LondonJon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Scrubber and refugium.

Do they essential do the same job?

What’s the advantage / disadvantage of each?

If you have the space and the budget, would you have both?

What should the flow be in a refugium?

I always thought it should be low, but have seen some videos where the Cheto is in a ball and rotating quite fast. What’s the benefit/reason for doing it this way?

OP
OP
L

LondonJon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a refugium be too big?
I’m guessing not. The algae can only grow if it has nutrients that it can feed on, regardless of the space it’s in.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium will offer more water volume and a safe place for pods to breed away from predators.
A scrubber will offer more nutrient export in less space, and more aeration.
IME a scrubber needs more frequent cleaning and maintenance, and if you have the space a fuge is a better way to go, especially if you get plenty of aeration throu skimmer.

As far as fuge flow. Think lower flow offers more exposure time and lets debris settle out for consumption. Also a better plan if you want clear water and want to run sock-less.
Cheato typically likes higher flow and light more along the red blue spectrum.
With caulerpra lower flow, and light not as critical.
Either way, try a few different types of macro and see which one takes over, then that’s the one for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LondonJon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium will offer more water volume and a safe place for pods to breed away from predators.
A scrubber will offer more nutrient export in less space, and more aeration.
IME a scrubber needs more frequent cleaning and maintenance, and if you have the space a fuge is a better way to go, especially if you get plenty of aeration throu skimmer.

As far as fuge flow. Think lower flow offers more exposure time and lets debris settle out for consumption. Also a better plan if you want clear water and want to run sock-less.
Cheato typically likes higher flow and light more along the red blue spectrum.
With caulerpra lower flow, and light not as critical.
Either way, try a few different types of macro and see which one takes over, then that’s the one for you.

So, two refugium would be better, with different flow rates in each?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to size a scrubber. Typically if nutrients drop too low you regulate that by cutting the photo period. If you have higher nutrient levels and the lights are on almost all the time then you might need to add another to your system.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to size a scrubber. Typically if nutrients drop too low you regulate that by cutting the photo period. If you have higher nutrient levels and the lights are on almost all the time then you might need to add another to your system.
A scrubber is precisely sized by screen surface area to the amount fed to the tank. The length of the photo period is used to set NO3at the level you want to maintain it at

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to size a scrubber?
The new rule is based on cube-equivalent amount of food fed daily, regardless of how many gallons you have in the system. You need 12 square inches of screen illuminated on BOTH SIDES with a total of 12 watts of fluorescent light for 18 hours/day for each cube-equivalent fed into the system per day. That means 6 watts per side of real wattage, not equivalent wattage. LED wattage is addressed separately as it has a different set of rules.

The cube-equivalent is defined as any ONE of the following:

1 frozen cube
10 pinches of flake food
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food
3.25 mL of liquid coral food

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, two refugium would be better, with different flow rates in each?
Nah. I have a 55 gal fuge on my 220 with enough nutrient export that I have no need for water changes. Had a scrubber running along with fuge for the first 9 months or so of tanks life. Have had it off since, about 7 years ago. Have about 10x water volume of fuge running through it. At first had 6500k lights and caulerpra was thriving. Changed light on one half to red/blue and cheato took over on that half. Weirdest thing, split right diwn the middle. Since then switched to all red/blue and caulerpra all but gone for a couple of years now.
Can pull over 5 gal of macro out every month or two. But lately have been experimenting with not removing as much and allowing bottom to die out to release back trace events. So far so good.
For my needs Could probably go with a smaller fuge, but regardless of size macro will only grow according to nutrients/food available

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRITON method
"The size of the refugium should be between 10% and 20% of the volume of the display tank."

TRITON US
"There are no specific guidelines unique to Triton in terms of setup and sizing of the refugium."

?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRITON method
"The size of the refugium should be between 10% and 20% of the volume of the display tank."

TRITON US
"There are no specific guidelines unique to Triton in terms of setup and sizing of the refugium."

?
That Is good info for someone looking for guidance for triton method. Only confuses op’s question since Triton method depends on other factors to maintain nutrient control

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Is good info for someone looking for guidance for triton method. Only confuses op’s question since Triton method depends on other factors to maintain nutrient control
Simply showing that there is no specific rules on calculating fuge size

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back