Refugium recommendations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a big upgrade and planing on using the Triton method. Is there anything I should consider when designing my new refugium?
Does Triton have guidelines or recommendations on how to set up a refugium?
Things like
The ratio of the refugium size compared to the size of the display tank
The amount of light required
How long the light should be run

If not then could you share how the triton Marine display tank refugium is set up.

Thanks!
James

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a big upgrade and planing on using the Triton method. Is there anything I should consider when designing my new refugium?
Does Triton have guidelines or recommendations on how to set up a refugium?
Things like
The ratio of the refugium size compared to the size of the display tank
The amount of light required
How long the light should be run

If not then could you share how the triton Marine display tank refugium is set up.

Thanks!
James

Hi James,

Great questions, and thanks for asking...

There are no specific guidelines unique to Triton in terms of setup and sizing of the refugium. You'd ideally want to build the largest refugium possible, just like you would for any system utilizing one. Break out the 2005 reef manuals, nothing crazy here! Central to the refugium design would be a large area for macro algae growth, along with lighting that is on a "reverse daylight" schedule from your display. You can utilize any lighting format that you like: T5, normal output fluorescent, or metla halide, of that matter...even LED, if you want..Bottom line would be to have a more "daylight" shifted color temp, which fosters macroalage growth.

For soem basics, start with this gem from Bob Fenner, everyone's favorite fish geek:

Refugiums
Herre is an absolutely awful pic I took with my really unsteady hand as I was walking out of Triton's facilty of the refugium under Ehsan's spectacular reef...Don't look at it for the aesthetics- refer to it for basics on configuration, etc. Super simple..Better pic taken with a real camera and a steady hand to follow...

IMG_4451.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James

If you Google "triton sump design" there are a lot of pictures of the Europeans sump design for the triton system. It's different from what were us to. It's suggested the refugium be 10 - 20% of the main tank.

Gene

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no filter sock? I'm liking this more and more. A fuge 10-20% the volume of the DT that has 10 x the flow of the DT going through it is some serious flow through that fuge. Pods are holding on for dear life:)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they don't use a sock. No sand in the refugium. Just a rock or two and a little rock rubble. Like Scott says you don't have to follow the Europeans, but I'm redoing my system and I want to try their way. I have this flow going in my sump now and I hear the pods hooting and hollering all night long!

Gene

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Big Fan and Proponent of Large High Flow Refugiums and have incorporated into my systems for 30+ years. Currently my fuge setup is occupying 2/3 of a 75g or a 36"x18" footprint with a large mix of Macro's and maybe 20 lbs of LR over a 2" Sand Bed. I have approx 1050 GPH going through it plus a Koralia K-2 Powerhead for additional flow. On the Natural Reef the highest diversity of Macro Algae is in the Shoreline Surge Zone and the cleaner the Algae's surface the better it can absorb the nutrients flowing past.

Cheers, Todd

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the debate between Springs and Adams at MACNA14? Two guys that may know a thing or two. Check it out on youtube if not.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh- good point about the filter sock! Totally forgot about that aspect!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back