What is your power outage back up plan?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reef Jedi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reef Jedi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
2,118
Reaction score
5,047
Location
Erie, CO
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into a Tesla power wall but don’t know if I want to spend that much. So I’m curious what everyone does for their power back up incase you loose power.
 
I purchased this one about a year ago on Amazon. Thankfully I haven’t needed to use it. My tank is a 170 gallon.

IMG_3004.png
 
I purchased this one about a year ago. I gladly haven’t needed to use it. My tank is a 170 gallon.
IMG_3004.png
How many watts are you pulling on that and how long does it last?
 
I purchased this one about a year ago on Amazon. Thankfully I haven’t needed to use it. My tank is a 170 gallon.

IMG_3004.png

I would still simulate a powder outage to see what it’s capable of. I have one that is way smaller just for my return pump. But now have a generator that I’m wanting to set up for the entire shop have the tanks in. 8500watt run power is the generator. Need to get the generator plug in system for the breaker panel.
 
I live in an apartment with 2 FW tanks (6 & 29g). Critical life support are on 2 1500W UPSes. I lost power for about 3 hours a few days ago while at work and the batteries were sufficient. I also have a 500W power inverter for my car for a really prolonged outage. I don’t have a reef tank yet but am planning a 40-50g tank. It will also have a UPS. The inverter should be able to power critical equipment on all 3.
 
How many watts are you pulling on that and how long does it last?
The only thing that it will be running is my return pump which at its highest setting pulls 85 watts. This should keep it going for around 9- 9 1/2 hours.
 
I would still simulate a powder outage to see what it’s capable of. I have one that is way smaller just for my return pump. But now have a generator that I’m wanting to set up for the entire shop have the tanks in. 8500watt run power is the generator. Need to get the generator plug in system for the breaker panel.
Yes, I agree! That is always a good idea. When I first got it set up I did turn off the power and it did its job. I just meant that we haven’t lost power since I set it up. It really gives you some peace of mind.
 
I have a 9500 watt generator that powers my whole house. I have it wired to it's own circuit box.
 
I have 3 generators . One just for my tank , one for my house and a backup

On the verge of getting a second or even a third haha. A inverter type.
 
Looking into a Tesla power wall but don’t know if I want to spend that much. So I’m curious what everyone does for their power back up incase you loose power.
I bought a Tesla solar system + powerwall back when there were 30% tax credits for putting them in. Haven’t lost power in 3+ years and haven’t paid for electricity either. Highly recommend!
 
I have a hybrid propane generator, if needed, but I mainly use this:

https://a.co/d/0a8zbqV1
I had an issue with a similar sized Ecoflow and switched brands.
 
Transfer switch and large portable generator that will provide power to most of the house.

I’d like to get an automatic whole home generator at some point because of course knowing my luck, when I likely will need it, I probably won’t be home
 
Generators and power walls are great but not always practical or in budget. My reef tank was without power twice for 6-7 days each occurrence. The only thing I ran was an mp40 on a dry cell car battery. The battery lasted the whole week with room to spare. The biggest concern is water movement to keep the water oxygenated. I plugged an inverter to my car and ran the return pump occasionally so the water wouldn’t get stagnant. I had no losses of fish or coral either time. I now own a generator and have not had to use it since I bought it.
 
Thank goodness our house is on a gas generator. Second the power goes out, generator kicks on and our whole house has power again.
 
After a massive ice storm a few years back we were without power for 13 days, I had a small generator that I ran the tanks on while we stayed at a family member's house. It kept everything alive, but the drive to refill with gasoline twice per day was a danger I refuse to endure again.

Now I have a 24kw Generac and wouldn't reef without one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new