Algae Scrubber for a 32 gallon Biocube

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently researching equipment for a Biocube 32 gallon build. I've been looking at algae scrubbers (which are new to me) and find the Santa Monica brand very interesting for small tanks. Any experience or thoughts regarding a Santa Monica Drop.2 as part of my set-up? Will it fit in chamber 2 with an inTank media rack? Thanks for your time.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently researching equipment for a Biocube 32 gallon build. I've been looking at algae scrubbers (which are new to me) and find the Santa Monica brand very interesting for small tanks. Any experience or thoughts regarding a Santa Monica Drop.2 as part of my set-up? Will it fit in chamber 2 with an inTank media rack? Thanks for your time.
We bought the bio cube designs from Greyfish aquatics if you want to go the waterfall route. Just shoot me an email or pm.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took one of those black biocube filters with carbon in them ripped off the filter took out the carbon and took a dremel to the inside sections and around the edges added some of the knitting stuff everyone uses as a base for the algae cut a hole at the bottom for the bubble ...works great cost 10$ plus the inovative marine refugium led ...all in at like 70$

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cats wrasse, thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a great project. Would you mind sharing a picture or two when you clean it? I'm more of a visual learner and it would help me to better understand the concept. Thanks for your consideration.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20191124-151332_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191124-151058_Gallery.jpg

Here are 2 of the pics I have saved in my phone of the ats lmk if you need another angle or something but I hope this helps ...it grows algae well and is always full of pods 7

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is helpful. Love the added benefit of the pods.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just build a hang on back cheato reactor? It works well for me. Total cost was around $100 and it is VERY efficient in nutrient export on my jbj45

5937AD5C-15B0-4AFB-9753-3650CCF618A4.jpeg D6F23415-6FD4-459F-A791-56174C9FEB5B.jpeg

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, 45ZoaGarden. That would certainly be a viable option and yours looks great. I'm trying to set this up with nothing hanging on the aquarium.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only problem with doing it in the chambers is it’s hard to clean. Not easy access. And you can end up with bad algae where you don’t want it. Main reason I went with a removable reactor.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent is to do a DIY version of a Santa Monica style scrubber. It will drop into chamber 2 of my 32 gallon Biocube and will be removable for cleaning/algae removal.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent is to do a DIY version of a Santa Monica style scrubber. It will drop into chamber 2 of my 32 gallon Biocube and will be removable for cleaning/algae removal.
I use innovative marine refugium led ....my in chamber scrubber is very easy to clean ....I see you want a santamonica scrubber what's holding you back from one of them?

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing holding me back from the SantaMonica scrubbers is the cost. Otherwise, I think they are perfect for my application. I'm just looking at alternatives and found several DIY units intriguing including yours.

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing holding me back from the SantaMonica scrubbers is the cost. Otherwise, I think they are perfect for my application. I'm just looking at alternatives and found several DIY units intriguing including yours.
I'm actually in the works of patenting a new filter product that acts like a scrubber and I have been asking around what people think is a fair price for something like santamonica scrubber ....what would you think to be a fair price if you dont mind me asking ?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the drop .2 in my nuvo 20 couple years ago. It worked great and kept my nutrients low (maybe even to low)

The weight covered in silicone got water in it and started rusting though. So I'd remove that if I was doing it again.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Justfebreezeit. I really like the concept for my application. Drop it in chamber 2 of my Biocube grow some competing algae. Seems relatively easy to remove and clean.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually in the works of patenting a new filter product that acts like a scrubber and I have been asking around what people think is a fair price for something like santamonica scrubber ....what would you think to be a fair price if you dont mind me asking ?
That's a great question and I'm unsure I can answer it. A fair price would be determined by the quality and efficacy of the unit. I think Santa Monica units are a bit pricey but they have proven to be effective. There are a lot of costs associated with start-up, production, marketing, distribution, etc. so you will have to see how that goes. Bottom line is that the cost, on your end, will be determined by what it costs you to produce, market and ship and hitting a price point that consumers are willing to pay. No offeIt seems to me that you could sell a plastic box enclosing

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back