OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a computer glitch and this posted before I completed my response. (Probably because I'm too long winded). Following the word "enclosing", please insert: a couple of LED strips and a rough, algae holding material for less than $200. I may be wrong. Good luck with your endeavor. We (reefers/aquarist) are always looking for something to make our passion for this hoobby easier, better for our charges, etc. Keep us posted on progress.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question and I'm unsure I can answer it. A fair price would be determined by the quality and efficacy of the unit. I think Santa Monica units are a bit pricey but they have proven to be effective. There are a lot of costs associated with start-up, production, marketing, distribution, etc. so you will have to see how that goes. Bottom line is that the cost, on your end, will be determined by what it costs you to produce, market and ship and hitting a price point that consumers are willing to pay. No offeIt seems to me that you could sell a plastic box enclosing
IMHO the Santa Monica scrubbers are worth it. No need to complain about the price if you’re getting a piece of top of the line equipment with top of the line performance. If you’re going to complain about the Santa Monica why not just route a line to a $100 diy aquamaxx cheato reactor in your cabinet? Saves a few hundred dollars if you’re trying to save money.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost was holding me back on my $3+k apex system. But now that I have it set up, it’s worth every penny. I have a few friends with the Santa Monica rain systems and they are always raving about them. I wouldn’t want macroalgae in the back of my jbj45 aio. I’ve seen what happens when that stuff gets into the display and it isn’t pretty.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm unsure how that was construed as a "complaint". The Santa Monica scrubbers are top of the line for what they are. No doubt. Are they pricey? Yes, they are. Are they worth the money? Evidently, since they are selling well at that price point. Will I probably but one? Yes, unless I find something that makes more sense for my application. Aren't you the guy who built a hang on the back reactor? Why? Was that to save some money or do you think yours performs better than Santa Monica products? The Cats Wrasse asked my opinion of a price point for a product that performs a similar function. I attempted to answer it as best I could. I'm sure he would value your opinion as well.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cash for a Santa Monica. I have a $7k setup. I don’t have the room for a Santa Monica. Santa Monica’s don’t grow cheato. I wanted cheato. So yes. It grows cheato better LOL

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the scrubber you’re looking at buying also doesn’t have anywhere near the capacity a diy cheato reactor has. More capacity=more nutrient export.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy for you. However, I have no intention of spending 7 grand on my Biocube (at least not this year. lol) and I have no desire to grow cheato at this time. Does a scrubber out perform a reactor given similar environments? Many think they do. That's the road I'm going down for my particular situation. Your mileage may vary.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato is much more efficient than a scrubber. Took my tanks nitrates from 20ppm to 0ppm in 3 days. It’s a bio cube. Why spend hundreds on a scrubber which you probably don’t need?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, it’s better to have too many nutrients than not enough. If you take too much out, you will strip the water column clean and your water will be too sterile. And yes, even acro’s need nutrients. You can have a sps dominant system with 30+ ppm of nitrates. I’ve seen it ALOT. Look at WWC’s show tanks. Nitrates around 30ppm is safe as long as you have low phosphates. Algae isn’t very efficient in lowering phosphates. I run a cheato reactor during the night and to keep my nutrients under control if I go on vacation. I do have a gfo reactor running 24/7 to keep the phosphates down below .05 so my 20ppm of nitrates is still safe.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the one he is looking at.

Yes the one he is looking at. I've used both. A chaeto reactor that would perform the same as that scrubber (nutrient reduction wise) would be at least twice as large.

Chaeto reactors are cool but they have their flaws as well. Especially in an AIO tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aio tank. And the scrubber he is looking at won’t do anything as it will only grow a palm full of algae. A 2l bottle of cheato drops the nutrients on my 150 and strips the nutrients out of my 45. Scrubbers that small are just not enough.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nuvo 20 with that scrubber and it was my only form of filtration, it kept my nutrients undetectable with 4 fish in it.

I know what chaeto can do, its great, but it needs more space than hair algae to do the same thing.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If scrubbers are better then cheato, why does 99% of today’s reefers use Fuges to grow cheato instead of saving on space with the sump to have a scrubber? Because scrubbers are like trickle filters. Not as efficient as other methods and a overrated fad ;)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize it might have not been the scrubber consuming nutrients? There’s lots of bacteria in our aquariums that’s take care of that for us.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato is a VERY aggressive form of algae and will starve out ANY other algae. Something hair algae in a scrubber won’t do.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m following along for your scrubber. I’ve been shopping/thinking how I want to add one to my IM 25g lagoon (AIO). My issue with Santa Monica is that to clean them is not that easy. Whole things got to come out and be disconnected. Unfortunately not too many other options other then DIY.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back