Algae Scrubber for a 32 gallon Biocube

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pretty similar looking algae on my screen, but sometimes there are brown colors in it with thick gritty clumps. This is the screen. I clean 80% of it every 10 days during water changes and run those cheap amazon lights 12 hrs/day. Doesn't grow much on the back side of the screen but still functions well. The weirdest part is it actually smells good, kinda like a really clean beach.

Hi SamiTANKS;

Is the screen illuminated on the "back side of the screen" ? How's the flow on the backside?

"cheap amazon lights " will grow algae, but not optimally if the intensity is too high or too low, & it will not necessarily grow optimally if the correct spectrum of red light is not provided. These aspects are important for efficient filtration.
Too much blue & not enough red at 660 nm can result in brownish slimey growth, & the slimey brown growth is not good for filtration.

1578100426581.png

Phosphate assimilation is limited of course if other necessary elements needed for photosynthesis are limited, especially nitrogen.
Your personal experience in regards to phosphate assimilation should not be considered as typical unless your growth is optimal. Your "phosphate also initially dropped to 0" so your algae growth must have been close to optimal at that stage. Perhaps the lights you use have degraded?

cheers

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SamiTANKS;

Is the screen illuminated on the "back side of the screen" ? How's the flow on the backside?

"cheap amazon lights " will grow algae, but not optimally if the intensity is too high or too low, & it will not necessarily grow optimally if the correct spectrum of red light is not provided. These aspects are important for efficient filtration.
Too much blue & not enough red at 660 nm can result in brownish slimey growth, & the slimey brown growth is not good for filtration.

1578100426581.png

Phosphate assimilation is limited of course if other necessary elements needed for photosynthesis are limited, especially nitrogen.
Your personal experience in regards to phosphate assimilation should not be considered as typical unless your growth is optimal. Your "phosphate also initially dropped to 0" so your algae growth must have been close to optimal at that stage. Perhaps the lights you use have degraded?

cheers

The scrubber is only lit on one side, and that's definitely a a good thought that the light wasn't strong enough to grow enough algae to lower phosphate. I tried testing that a couple months back by mounting the 10k power compact bulb from my bc29 against the back middle scrubber section along with the cheap amazon led lights. I saw greener growth but the phosphate reduction did not improve. Bulk Reef Supply just posted a video testing scrubbers using clear water scrubber and had similar results with phosphate reduction becoming limited after several weeks of low nitrate. I would like to see a test where nitrate is dosed into these low nitrogen systems to see if it keeps the phosphate reduction rate of scrubbers from reaching capacity

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scrubber is only lit on one side, and that's definitely a a good thought that the light wasn't strong enough to grow enough algae to lower phosphate. I tried testing that a couple months back by mounting the 10k power compact bulb from my bc29 against the back middle scrubber section along with the cheap amazon led lights. I saw greener growth but the phosphate reduction did not improve......

Bulk Reef Supply just posted a video testing scrubbers using clear water scrubber and had similar results with phosphate reduction becoming limited after several weeks of low nitrate. I would like to see a test where nitrate is dosed into these low nitrogen systems to see if it keeps the phosphate reduction rate of scrubbers from reaching capacity

Hi Sami;

you're basing your PO4 argument on (1.) experience running a scrubber for 7 months, a scrubber with sub-optimal lighting. I built my first scrubber in 1995, and my present tank has run a modern downflow scrubber, with lighting intensity & spectrum tuned to the unit, for near 4 years. And I have done the tests over this period.

And (2.) on a substandard BRS test performed over 7 weeks.

The BRS test gave little information, and none on screen size, photo-period, or whether the scrubber screen was virgin or had a mature – healthy - growth of algae. I could point out various faults with their test, but I'll stick with PO4.

What else could have affected their PO4 results? On this I would ask why they didn't do the simple targeted test on an aquarium with mature live rock, instead of a tank with dead rock that would impact on the results when it began cycling. The rock would have soaked up PO4 & then released it.

Look at the results for the control tanks that had no filtration, but also had dead rock.

Neither Control tank #1 or #2 when fed 1 cube a day over the 4 week period, had a rise in PO4 between weeks 2 to 3?

Again, when fed 2 cubes a day over a three week period, neither Control tank #1 & #2 had any rise in PO4 between weeks 4 to 6? Why,,, how,,, no filtration!

The control tanks PO4 readings over the 7 week period somewhat mimicked the scrubbed tanks readings in regards to an increase in PO4 after the 2 to 3 week, & 4 to 6 week periods, although the control tanks PO4 went way higher. Something else affected the PO4 levels, & I say it was the dead rock used in all four tanks.

I base this on the tests I have done on my own aquarium over the 4 year period it has had the scrubber running. My aquarium was 3 to 4 years old by the time I fitted the scrubber. I had previously discovered that I had NO3 at well over 60ppm & PO4 at 100 times the recommended level of 0.03ppm. After the scrubber matured I quickly removed the skimmer, & Marine Pure 8x8, & have ran my aquarium using a scrubber only, with occasional GAC, & very occasional partial water changes. I can run NO3 at zero, or as high as I want it by varying the length of the photo-period.

My PO4 readings, using Salifert, & now RedSea, have never been over 0.03, unless I dosed Potassium Phosphate. The level I run No3 at has had no effect on PO4 levels. This is the same for two other aquariums I built scrubbers for.

Bulk Reef's test was to see if a scrubber could outperform a skimmer in regards to controlling inorganic nutrient export. I could have told them, yes, easy. BRS should have used an established aquarium that used a skimmer - removed the skimmer & replaced it with a scrubber with a mature screen.

Now BRS is going to test (the same tanks) to see if a scrubber can keep the rock work pristine. What they need to do here is use an aquarium with GHA growing, then fit a suitable mature scrubber to the tank. I've done it. After a month the GHA & cyano on my rocks disappeared, directly due to the scrubber. But the rock work won't stay pristine - mine then ended up covered in coralline.

Cheers.

Last edited:

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m following along for your scrubber. I’ve been shopping/thinking how I want to add one to my IM 25g lagoon (AIO). My issue with Santa Monica is that to clean them is not that easy. Whole things got to come out and be disconnected. Unfortunately not too many other options other then DIY.
The patent got sent out last week ...it should be all said and done within a week or 2

FrankBorges

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one of those black biocube filters with carbon in them ripped off the filter took out the carbon and took a dremel to the inside sections and around the edges added some of the knitting stuff everyone uses as a base for the algae cut a hole at the bottom for the bubble ...works great cost 10$ plus the inovative marine refugium led ...all in at like 70$
Can u take a picturr of that setup.. trying to do something similar
Thanks

FrankBorges

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u take a picturr of that setup.. trying to do something similar
Thanks

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the wet side to attach to the glass?

Also do you need a bubbler? I find that air pumps are so loud :(

Thanks!
There is an o ring going around the wet side. It attaches with magnets to the dry side. Yes, it requires a bubbler. No, the bubbles don’t cause salt creep.

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is getting old. Interesting read. Any updates on the DIY scrubbers?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back