Algae scrubber ideas

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I wanted to get some ideas out there and get some feedback. Lately I've been wanting an algae scrubber, but of course you run into that big fork in the road between making it yourself or paying hundreds of dollars. So far I've done a very lazy DIY scrubber. I literally just put some pieces of knitting mesh under my nice kessil fuge light. It actually works! Probably not to the extent that a real scrubber would work, especially since the mesh is totally submerged, but still not bad. May even be better off doing that rather than chaeto. I found in my system, with its incredibly high nutrients, GHA tends to grow right on top of/inside the chaeto and eventually seems to just outcompete it.

My first question is if anybody thinks that an algae scrubber could be fully submerged. I know scrubbers want flow, which is why they waterfall it down the mesh. That may very well be the best way. I'm still just curious to think of an algae scrubber that is submerged kinda like my half-baked improvised one. It seems to work pretty well. There is kind of low-moderate flow in there. Seems like it only takes a little flow to get the nutrients physically to the algae. I suppose if that was the case, a submerged scrubber could work. The advantages of such a scrubber might be that there's less evaporation, might take up less space (kinda depends on where you have room) also might be easier to apply since plumbing it into your system is kind of daunting to some (such as myself!).

I keep wondering to myself if I should just buy a powerhead and run it on the night cycle with the light so that the algae has a lot of flow. I mean pretty fast flow underwater can be achieved, we all know that. Maybe I'll just continue along this path of simply placing pieces of mesh under the light. Right now they are both vertical, in a small compartment of my sump with the light blasting both of them from fairly close range. So far a surprising amount of growth has occurred though it was a little slow to start. But I didn't even rough them up! (I would appreciate some alternate ways of roughing up the mesh. Dunno if I have that drill bit people keep talking about handy) Almost seems like you can go without it if I'm being honest!

The other question is does anybody have any good diy ideas that I probably haven't heard about? Maybe something so easy even I can do it. Or a way of souping up my current setup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fully submerged ...NO as the leds are not submersible which makes up the algae.
I suggested a plexiglas or lexan platform across sump and lay scrubber on top.
Also replaced stainless screws with nylon ones.
I currently have a real nice scrubber for sale under for sale ads

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SantaMonikas scrubbers are submerged, calls them up-flow scrubber. Uses bubbles to draw the water upwards through the unit. The unit sits against the glass with the lighting on the dry side shinning into the unit.
Yeah I've seen those. I could do that for like 30 dollars instead of 500 though. All I need to do is put an airstone right below my knitting canvas and crank the light over so it's aimed at it from the outside. Just gotta buy another air pump.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the bubbles in an upflow is algae needs the air in order to access the nutrients in the water column. That is the reason waterfall type scrubbers are so efficient. You can also make a horizontal scrubber where water flows over the algae and into the sump. Here might be some good reading for you.

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do waterfall personally.

Here's my recipe:
5.5 gallon tank, 3/4 feed pipe, drill hole for 1 bulkhead out the side for drain, 3/4 bulk head for emergency right above the drain, get a couple of deep red 660nm grow lights around 3-5w per 4sq in of screen.

Use a small dome fixture on each side, paint white all around tank except for dome area put black on top of white, use plastic clips to hold feed pipe in center of tank. Build a top of eggcrate cover in shield material.

$75 dollar scrubber that can handle a good load. Need bigger get a 10g monster. Build a stand over your sump or beside it.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the bubbles in an upflow is algae needs the air in order to access the nutrients in the water column. That is the reason waterfall type scrubbers are so efficient. You can also make a horizontal scrubber where water flows over the algae and into the sump. Here might be some good reading for you.
Looks like the idea of the horizontal one has died. But what about a horizontal one that's submerged and has a powerhead right under or over it? Then all you'd need is a good light, a powerhead, and a knitting canvas.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do waterfall personally.

Here's my recipe:
5.5 gallon tank, 3/4 feed pipe, drill hole for 1 bulkhead out the side for drain, 3/4 bulk head for emergency right above the drain, get a couple of deep red 660nm grow lights around 3-5w per 4sq in of screen.

Use a small dome fixture on each side, paint white all around tank except for dome area put black on top of white, use plastic clips to hold feed pipe in center of tank. Build a top of eggcrate cover in shield material.

$75 dollar scrubber that can handle a good load. Need bigger get a 10g monster. Build a stand over your sump or beside it.
Now there's an idea! I also had the idea to have a brighter lining on the inside. Ideally it would just be a mirror that reflects 100% of light! I wonder how one could make a scrubber/reactor hybrid! I know an aussy guy did it once since he had the reactor.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the idea of the horizontal one has died. But what about a horizontal one that's submerged and has a powerhead right under or over it? Then all you'd need is a good light, a powerhead, and a knitting canvas.
All will work, just some are more efficient than others.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1578514974970.png

You can really get results like this out of an algae scrubber? Seems amazing. Might be worth the $$$ for something like that!

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noice, mate! That's a beautiful sight, isn't it? Are those yours or someone else's?

I'm thinking about just breaking down and buying a santa monica drop 1.4 unit. Instead of being on here trying to reinvent the wheel, I could just do something actually good for my tank and do away with all my silliness in the sump. Kinda tempting to just leave the knitting mesh in there with the kessil over them, but I suppose it's probably like 25% of the effectiveness of getting the real deal.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noice, mate! That's a beautiful sight, isn't it? Are those yours or someone else's?

I'm thinking about just breaking down and buying a santa monica drop 1.4 unit. Instead of being on here trying to reinvent the wheel, I could just do something actually good for my tank and do away with all my silliness in the sump. Kinda tempting to just leave the knitting mesh in there with the kessil over them, but I suppose it's probably like 25% of the effectiveness of getting the real deal.
Yes, that's my scrubber growth.

If you need something that is submerged rather than a downflow, santamonica would be the way to go.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's my scrubber growth.

If you need something that is submerged rather than a downflow, santamonica would be the way to go.

Are you running a Santa? If not what lights are you using?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you did. What wattage are you using? I'm building another one and working out the lighting.
I go 1.0 watt to 1.55 watts per 4 square inches per side. That's just what I researched & it works.
I only use red 660nm. Others like a small amount of blue, or violet, but when I mixed in some blue I got more mucky slimey brown growth mixed in, interfering with the nice lush green growth.
I also have found that with just the red you bypass the initial yucky slimey growth & go straight to the good stuff, although this may not be the case for everyone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back