Algae scrubber ideas

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go 1.0 watt to 1.55 watts per 4 square inches per side. That's just what I researched & it works.
I only use red 660nm. Others like a small amount of blue, or violet, but when I mixed in some blue I got more mucky slimey brown growth mixed in, interfering with the nice lush green growth.
I also have found that with just the red you bypass the initial yucky slimey growth & go straight to the good stuff, although this may not be the case for everyone.
What about the white? Does it not grow algae as well as just red does?

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw a quick one together one day, waterfall style. It started to grow algae in about 4 days with a large led grow panel I picked up cheap. I ended up taking it down because of a huge jump in evaporation and salt spray. I will end up making another as soon as I pick up some clear and some black acrylic to make an enclosed unit to solve those issues I had. Waterfall was very simple though. I just hooked up a small pump in my sump and pumped it in some pvc pipe tha flowed over the mesh. Worked pretty well considering it took me 30 minutes to make it.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw a quick one together one day, waterfall style. It started to grow algae in about 4 days with a large led grow panel I picked up cheap. I ended up taking it down because of a huge jump in evaporation and salt spray. I will end up making another as soon as I pick up some clear and some black acrylic to make an enclosed unit to solve those issues I had. Waterfall was very simple though. I just hooked up a small pump in my sump and pumped it in some pvc pipe tha flowed over the mesh. Worked pretty well considering it took me 30 minutes to make it.
I like that because it's something you can just put in the water. I don't like the idea of having to run my overflow pipe into the scrubber before it hits the sump. That would be a whole replumbing job.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noice, mate! That's a beautiful sight, isn't it? Are those yours or someone else's?

I'm thinking about just breaking down and buying a santa monica drop 1.4 unit. Instead of being on here trying to reinvent the wheel, I could just do something actually good for my tank and do away with all my silliness in the sump. Kinda tempting to just leave the knitting mesh in there with the kessil over them, but I suppose it's probably like 25% of the effectiveness of getting the real deal.
I use a drop 1.2 in a 34 gal red sea and I love it, I fed 1-2 cubes a day. I've run a Santa Monica drop for 6 years and had the lights on my last one go out and I lost a ton of coral. But I'll never run a tank without a scrubber. Plus they're amazing with customer service. I bought mine 6 years ago and when the lights went out 3 months ago, they sent me a replacement they had at no cost. They even said I could send the broken one back and they would fix it if they could, but it would need to be completely re done so I kept the one they sent for free and bought a new 1.2x drop. I don't mind spending money on equipment I'll have for years made by a company that treats people compassionately.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the white? Does it not grow algae as well as just red does?
Technically speaking, there's no such thing as white. That would have all the colors in it to some extent. Red, green, and blue. In this case a 'white' light would be producing red, green, and blue. The red is good, so is the blue (apparently to a lesser extent for scrubbers.) and green would be totally useless since all green photosynthetic organisms reflect green light rather than absorb it.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to hear, considering I just bought their 1.4 unit!
Don't get disappointed if you don't get growth right away, it usually takes a month or two for my tanks. 4 days is crazy fast, but when you get dark slime clean your scrubber every week you will eventually get the nice green Algae

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that because it's something you can just put in the water. I don't like the idea of having to run my overflow pipe into the scrubber before it hits the sump. That would be a whole replumbing job.
Here's a crappy pic of it running in the sump. 20191209_132143.jpg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go 1.0 watt to 1.55 watts per 4 square inches per side. That's just what I researched & it works.
I only use red 660nm. Others like a small amount of blue, or violet, but when I mixed in some blue I got more mucky slimey brown growth mixed in, interfering with the nice lush green growth.
I also have found that with just the red you bypass the initial yucky slimey growth & go straight to the good stuff, although this may not be the case for everyone.

That's what I was hoping for. Last go around I mixed blues and got a mix of junk. This go around I grabbed deep red at that same wattage. Do you blast it 100% day one or do you dim it for awhile?

I'm pretty certain the deep reds are the ticket with chaeto as well.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was hoping for. Last go around I mixed blues and got a mix of junk. This go around I grabbed deep red at that same wattage. Do you blast it 100% day one or do you dim it for awhile?

I'm pretty certain the deep reds are the ticket with chaeto as well.
how long a photo-period you run depends on the level of NO3 you want to maintain. Longer lighting period = more photosynthesis = more inorganic nutrient assimilation. Depends on the system overall, the correctness of sizing the screen, the light intensity & spectrum.

I have run 24/7, & the growth accelerated significantly, but after a few weeks growth slowed considerably when NO3 & PO4 bottomed out.

A couple of months ago I dropped a razor blade into the tank & couldn't find it. So it was inevitable it would rust & release the various metals it contained (only a 50 gal system). A couple of weeks later I got bad case of hair algae growing all over the rock work (which is what I expected), for the first time in 4 years (since I put the scrubber into action). I don't run a skimmer or GAC. I just went 24/7 with the photo-period & the green hair eventually disappeared again. Went back to 12 hour photo-period after that.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm gonna run the drop 1.4 on the night cycles only. Should the bubbles be on all the time or could they just turn on with the night cycle too? I have no doubt the lights could be turned off during the day but I dunno about the bubbles. Might be kinda weird for the algae to have to adjust to bubbles and no bubbles.

I'm thinking maybe I should get some drop 1.4 action on video since apparently there aren't a ton of videos on it.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Many algae are in the tidal zone & spend hours completely out of the water every day.
So might as well run the bubbles on the night cycle too is what you're saying? They will still be underwater, just not moving or anything.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back