Algae Scrubbers and Clean up crews?

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, My question this evening is if I add a Algae scrubber, do I need, or can i still have a clean up crew, or does the Algae scrubber put the clean up crew out of work?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, My question this evening is if I add a Algae scrubber, do I need, or can i still have a clean up crew, or does the Algae scrubber put the clean up crew out of work?
I bet some detrivores would be a good idea.

Something that depends on algaes for their diet, I would still get, but not as many who's diet you cannot supliment or provide without nuisance algae present.

I bet they will still get some as it can't be eliminated all the way to non existence, and you would need cuc tkeepep it invisible.

However I am a noob and this is only.my .02 based on algae free freshwater still being able to support snails and what I know about our microbiomes.

Rake this with a grain of salt

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet some detrivores would be a good idea.

Something that depends on algaes for their diet, I would still get, but not as many who's diet you cannot supliment or provide without nuisance algae present.

I bet they will still get some as it can't be eliminated all the way to non existence, and you would need cuc tkeepep it invisible.

However I am a noob and this is only.my .02 based on algae free freshwater still being able to support snails and what I know about our microbiomes.

Rake this with a grain of salt
I was actually thinking this exact thing, a very small crew, with possible supplementation! $0.02 cents is $0.02 cents! I appreciate the exchange rate! LOL!

Reef802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubber will not necessarily "remove" all algae from DT, mainly attempts to control nutrients and minimize the potential growth in the DT. Have had DT outbreaks with scrubber and ULN as a result of over skimming, AWC and scrubber removing everything. It's a balancing act that truly varies from tank to tank.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine clean the glass, but I have barebottom tank so they love it . Algea scrubber does the bulk of the cleaning. Turbo snails seem to still be eating something, don’t exactly know what they are eating but they are freaking massive, I call my biggest “the tank”

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine clean the glass, but I have barebottom tank so they love it . Algea scrubber does the bulk of the cleaning. Turbo snails seem to still be eating something, don’t exactly know what they are eating but they are freaking massive, I call my biggest “the ta

Mine clean the glass, but I have barebottom tank so they love it . Algea scrubber does the bulk of the cleaning. Turbo snails seem to still be eating something, don’t exactly know what they are eating but they are freaking massive, I call my biggest “the tank”
Great Name for a snail! I will be trying some cuc, ill watch them closely and suplement if needed, and not go with near the size of crews some suggest.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different........you are doing nothing more than removing nutrients using the scrubber. Sometimes that means 0 algae growth in the DT (which would starve your CUC).....other times it will mean absolutely nothing lol. I guess the question that needs asked, is why are you using a scrubber? Do you have algae and nutrient issues now? Scrubbers can work VERY well....sometimes too well, especially if they aren't needed.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different........you are doing nothing more than removing nutrients using the scrubber. Sometimes that means 0 algae growth in the DT (which would starve your CUC).....other times it will mean absolutely nothing lol. I guess the question that needs asked, is why are you using a scrubber? Do you have algae and nutrient issues now? Scrubbers can work VERY well....sometimes too well, especially if they aren't needed.
So, Running a tank years ago, i just remember having a huge cuc, several fish to help, and still ran high nitrate and phosphate, i didn't have a huge algae issue, as i had a beautiful run of 4 or 5 different colors of coaraline, I also ran a phosban reactor at the time, with some success, and a uv. I have been out of the hobby for 16 or so years. I have started a 75 gallon, and want to focus on zoas and maybe some lps. with fish of coarse, learning what algae scrubbers can do, and knowing its a tunning thing to keep nitrates lower but not gone, and same as phosphates, im going to give it a try. I am more of a hands on guy, not really into automating anything.

I have also heard that there is some benefit to bypassing some early stage uglies in the tank if you start with a algae scrubber. But that being said, we do want some snails and crabs, my fiance is fascinated with it all, and i dont want to have to clean of a tank, that i dont need a cuc.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Running a tank years ago, i just remember having a huge cuc, several fish to help, and still ran high nitrate and phosphate, i didn't have a huge algae issue, as i had a beautiful run of 4 or 5 different colors of coaraline, I also ran a phosban reactor at the time, with some success, and a uv. I have been out of the hobby for 16 or so years. I have started a 75 gallon, and want to focus on zoas and maybe some lps. with fish of coarse, learning what algae scrubbers can do, and knowing its a tunning thing to keep nitrates lower but not gone, and same as phosphates, im going to give it a try. I am more of a hands on guy, not really into automating anything.

I have also heard that there is some benefit to bypassing some early stage uglies in the tank if you start with a algae scrubber. But that being said, we do want some snails and crabs, my fiance is fascinated with it all, and i dont want to have to clean of a tank, that i dont need a cuc.
I will say this on starting with it.

I run chaeto, not a scrubber, so not quite the same, especially since if I am not mistaken, the algae isn't there until it naturally grows in your tank.

But... starting with chaeto in my fuge, was such a nutrient hog, i had to dose phosphates and nitrates after about 4 weeks. I got dinos from it not allowing anything else to establish in the tank. If the scrubber does start with some sort of algae in it, i would wait until somwthing starts growing in the tank.

Though... if I would have adjusted my photo period, i probably could have avoided this, but I refused to so i could keep my PH up and not limit photosynthesis.

You being hands on I bet will pay better attention than I did and stop yours from bottoming out by actually controlling it though.

Just something i feel is worth passing on.

Also, my dino solution appeared to be putting in rock from the ocean, so my guess is, i stripped the tank of all micro biodiversity by essentially starving the system.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally wouldn't recommend a scrubber right from the start......it is more something you can add down the road if needed (I still have a brand new one sitting in the closet and this tank has been running for over a year now). I am not sure what caused your high nitrates and phosphates with your first tank but unless you have those same issues this time around, the scrubber might cause you more harm than good. I do think they are a great tool to be used when the situation calls for it :) Just keep an eye on nutrients......you can always use a timer and reduce the amount of time it is in use if you are set on using it from the start.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't recommend a scrubber right from the start......it is more something you can add down the road if needed (I still have a brand new one sitting in the closet and this tank has been running for over a year now). I am not sure what caused your high nitrates and phosphates with your first tank but unless you have those same issues this time around, the scrubber might cause you more harm than good. I do think they are a great tool to be used when the situation calls for it :) Just keep an eye on nutrients......you can always use a timer and reduce the amount of time it is in use if you are set on using it from the start.
I can tell you the cause of the High nitrate and phosphate, A guy with a 180 gallon tank that got me into salt water, decided to move, I took on a very beautiful Purple tang, and a glorious half moon angel as well as a few others. Both the tang and the angel where way to big for my 75. He ended up not setting up his tank, and i ended up adopting the fish. They all did well, but i suffered from an over stocked 75. after having them for well over two years, i thought one more fish, added a gobbie, did not quarantine, and total tank crash due to illness. That, will never happen again!:loudly-crying-face:

I will monitor my tank for a while and see how it goes. Im just seeing some amazing results from those that have chosen the algae scrubbers.

I also at this time do not have enough room for a refuge. I fear where this is going to end up, as i am already looking at 300 gallon tanks, pricing cabinets and under tank refuges. UUUGHH! HAHA! Thanks for all the input everyone.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both an Icecap algae scrubber and cleanup crew. Both seem to be getting along just fine.
the HOB ice cap is what i ordered, I have the HOB Icecap protein skimmer which is a little noisey, It likes to gurrgle! Alot! lol. got to mess with it today. Its driving me crazy..

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine right out gate on this reefer 350 g2 and have had no nasty start up algae. But you will still get some of the proper algae on your rocks and glass. I have 6 snails, 6 hermits and 1 hippo tang for clean up. They clean the rocks up pretty good but you will still need to scrape glass.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine right out gate on this reefer 350 g2 and have had no nasty start up algae. But you will still get some of the proper algae on your rocks and glass. I have 6 snails, 6 hermits and 1 hippo tang for clean up. They clean the rocks up pretty good but you will still need to scrape glass.
Great info, My tank just completed its cycle, I started the algae scrubber
up two days ago. I will be adding the tanks first inhabitants this weekend after a quarantine. Diatoms have started, but im just not sure you can escape those! Thanks for the info, ill be adding a cuc in several weeks.

OP
OP
Vimby210

Vimby210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought id give an update, Diatom bloom lasted only 8-9 days, system has been running great, crystal clear water, and it took about 3 weeks for green hair algae to form. Have not done a harvest yet, will be turning lights down to only run at night and actually turning the back side lights on. I have run it 24-7 up till now. Phosphates dropped from 40ppm to 5, phosphates down to .25 No water changes as of yet, but will be doing a small one this weekend to get my calcium back up. RODI system finally up and running completely now after some hiccups.

So, no one talks about it, but i am assuming you leave the water pump running in the Algae scrubber 24-7, and just cycle lights on and off?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back