Algae Turf Scrubber and lighting

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone run a waterfall ATS? What are you using for lighting? I tried to go cheap and low power which worked ok at first but I really need to get a little more lights I think. Now that the acrylic has some algae on it I'm not getting enough light to power through it to the screens.

I also need to re work some other things but its not worth doing until I get some better lighting. Would like to stick with leds for this.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the curly fluorescent bulbs, one on each side, for several years now.
algae scrubber left.JPG
algae scrubber right.JPG

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 10" reflector side 23 watt, and the 8 inch reflector side 19 watt. If I could find higher wattage bulbs that would fit in the reflectors I would use them instead. I clean it every 3 weeks. I guess the growth is good. It should probably be cleaned every 2 weeks because it is very thick growth in the circle of light.

Last edited:

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Ca1ore uses the ReefBreeders Red LED growth bulb on his ATS. He gets great growth on the ATS. I would ask him to be sure. He lives in Stamford

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 5000k Phillips PAR 38 LED bulb with a 120 watt rating (actually only uses 22 watts or so) in my refugium. I'd say my chaeto is doubling in size ever 2 weeks or so. I know it's not an ATS, but i figured i'd toss that out there. I think 1 on each side of your ATS would get some major growth.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular warm white 23W actual cfls work best for me. had to go with a par 38 LED due to space on one side.

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mason I'll get a hold of him. And thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I need to clean it more often but I'm going to give some thought to changing lights. I think some of the problem is I didn't make the tank part of the container wide enough so I gtt algae even on the acrylic which then blocks light going to the screen, cuz the water gets everywhere inside mine.

I'm also thinking of plumbing in a drain with a ball valve to drain it into a bucket as I clean it out. In an attempt to be able to clean it with it running. Then I can just incorporate it into my water change routine, or lack there of. lol

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back