Algae Turf Scrubber and lighting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Triggreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
4,955
Reaction score
2,796
Location
East Hampton, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone run a waterfall ATS? What are you using for lighting? I tried to go cheap and low power which worked ok at first but I really need to get a little more lights I think. Now that the acrylic has some algae on it I'm not getting enough light to power through it to the screens.

I also need to re work some other things but its not worth doing until I get some better lighting. Would like to stick with leds for this.
 
I have used the curly fluorescent bulbs, one on each side, for several years now.
algae scrubber left.JPG
algae scrubber right.JPG
.
 
On the 10" reflector side 23 watt, and the 8 inch reflector side 19 watt. If I could find higher wattage bulbs that would fit in the reflectors I would use them instead. I clean it every 3 weeks. I guess the growth is good. It should probably be cleaned every 2 weeks because it is very thick growth in the circle of light.
 
Last edited:
I think Ca1ore uses the ReefBreeders Red LED growth bulb on his ATS. He gets great growth on the ATS. I would ask him to be sure. He lives in Stamford
 
I'm using a 5000k Phillips PAR 38 LED bulb with a 120 watt rating (actually only uses 22 watts or so) in my refugium. I'd say my chaeto is doubling in size ever 2 weeks or so. I know it's not an ATS, but i figured i'd toss that out there. I think 1 on each side of your ATS would get some major growth.
 
Regular warm white 23W actual cfls work best for me. had to go with a par 38 LED due to space on one side.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 342
Thanks Mason I'll get a hold of him. And thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I need to clean it more often but I'm going to give some thought to changing lights. I think some of the problem is I didn't make the tank part of the container wide enough so I gtt algae even on the acrylic which then blocks light going to the screen, cuz the water gets everywhere inside mine.

I'm also thinking of plumbing in a drain with a ball valve to drain it into a bucket as I clean it out. In an attempt to be able to clean it with it running. Then I can just incorporate it into my water change routine, or lack there of. lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new