Alge and white fuzz

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, we just started this aquarium October 17th 2023. 125G Since we have added 4 Duncan's, 2 alvepora(one died within 72 hours of getting it), gonipora, clams, Kenya tree, favia, purple people eaters, elegance(australia), pectina, blue Xenia, two rock anemones, 2 small clowns, 1 blue tang, 1 royal gamma, 1 cleaner shrimp.

We seem to get pretty heavy alge buildup pretty much on the money 5 days after cleaning. By day 7 it almost makes the glass look foggy.

2 nights ago we noticed some white fuzz spots, kinda freaked out, my wife did some research and found it may be pineapple sponge. (None of the fish will eat food off the bottom of the tank).

Today I noticed some weird looking film over the goni, same kinda white stuff but in one spot seems brown.

My questions are:

1) is the alge build-up normal?

2) what is this weird film buildup?

3) is the lighting to strong? 6 32W HM electronics lights

20231120_142159.jpg 20231120_142051.jpg 20231120_142059.jpg 20231120_142043.jpg 17005243349511038216297624578908.jpg 17005244582451473160437984555172.jpg 17005245466066238209977254960683.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awfully fast for a new tank. Generally the uglies start around 4-6 months and can last for months. Right now, you're just scratching the surface of what's to come.

Slow is best when stocking a tank. Some coral won't make it without some maturity.

As far as managing what's to come there's a few things that can help. Managing parameters, ensuring a proper CuC, dosing live phyto, UV sterilizer, fuge with macro algae.

All of those things will help, but time is the only cure.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, during water changes use a Gravel vacuum with a toothbrush on the end. Scrub and suck out any you can.

I also don't see any clean up crew? Check out reefcleaners.org and get the package for half of your tank size. Once algae gets bad, purchase the other half.

Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, during water changes use a Gravel vacuum with a toothbrush on the end. Scrub and suck out any you can.

I also don't see any clean up crew? Check out reefcleaners.org and get the package for half of your tank size. Once algae gets bad, purchase the other half.

Welcome to R2R!!!
Got it. Doing a water change and cleaning tomorrow, pretty sure our guy uses a gravel vacuum.

I'm curious about my questions? Do you know the answer to these?

My questions are:

2) what is this weird film buildup? Looks white, my wife thinks it could be pineapple sponge? Seems to happen on the old food in the sand bed but we're seeing it on the rock now. I've seen some of the food fall into the clams and Duncan's, so I know there could be some food in the rock but not sure if that's the cause of the "white fuzz"..

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Doing a water change and cleaning tomorrow, pretty sure our guy uses a gravel vacuum.

I'm curious about my questions? Do you know the answer to these?

My questions are:

2) what is this weird film buildup? Looks white, my wife thinks it could be pineapple sponge? Seems to happen on the old food in the sand bed but we're seeing it on the rock now. I've seen some of the food fall into the clams and Duncan's, so I know there could be some food in the rock but not sure if that's the cause of the "white fuzz"..

You're going to get all kinds of changes and algae for months to come. The white could be a sponge, hard to just guess at it though. Pics and a dedicated thread will help with identification.

I've never heard of those lights so I can't speak on them.

Soon those purple rocks you paid extra for will be covered in green. When tank gets passed 6 months or so you may start seeing coraline. Which will turn them back to purple.

Best course of action is to get familiar with testing and keep your parameters managed.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to get all kinds of changes and algae for months to come. The white could be a sponge, hard to just guess at it though. Pics and a dedicated thread will help with identification.

I've never heard of those lights so I can't speak on them.

Soon those purple rocks you paid extra for will be covered in green. When tank gets passed 6 months or so you may start seeing coraline. Which will turn them back to purple.

Best course of action is to get familiar with testing and keep your parameters managed.
Water parameters all seem good, PH may be a little high. Added some RO water and a small dose of calcium last night and will test again in a bit.

Can you tell me what this film over the Goni is?

Attachments

• 20231121_095909.jpg
    20231121_095909.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 20

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be a reaction from the coral due to not liking the environment. Generally it's recommended to wait a couple months before trying coral for new reefers. Even then, easy corals like softies are best. Maturity in a system matters a lot for some species. For me, I wouldn't recommend LPS until around 4-6 months, SPS and anemone until closer to a year.

Even with perfect parameters and lighting there are still intangibles in a system that cannot be measured. I always use the analogy are you more comfortable at grandma's house or in a sterile operating room? Maturity plays a huge factor.

For my first year or so everything struggled and algae was an issue. Now 6 years later I barely bother testing or doing water changes, everything is thriving and algae is no where to be seen.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be a reaction from the coral due to not liking the environment. Generally it's recommended to wait a couple months before trying coral for new reefers. Even then, easy corals like softies are best. Maturity in a system matters a lot for some species. For me, I wouldn't recommend LPS until around 4-6 months, SPS and anemone until closer to a year.

Even with perfect parameters and lighting there are still intangibles in a system that cannot be measured. I always use the analogy are you more comfortable at grandma's house or in a sterile operating room? Maturity plays a huge factor.

For my first year or so everything struggled and algae was an issue. Now 6 years later I barely bother testing or doing water changes, everything is thriving and algae is no where to be seen.
People have said that so I know that some of these corals may be dicey.

So far we've only lost one alvepora, the other is doing great. This goni was great for weeks. If we lose any more hard coral we probably won't replace it for at least 6 months. Our anemones seem to be doing great to but seems like rock anemones are pretty easy to keep.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have said that so I know that some of these corals may be dicey.

So far we've only lost one alvepora, the other is doing great. This goni was great for weeks. If we lose any more hard coral we probably won't replace it for at least 6 months. Our anemones seem to be doing great to but seems like rock anemones are pretty easy to keep.
Anemone take a while to show their mood. Rock anemone are probably the easiest to keep though. I had a terrible time with bubble tips until around a year. I could keep them alive before then, however no growth.

This hobby is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. The real test for you will come when the uglies kick in. For me, it was months 6-10 or so.

I will never use dry rock again to start a tank from this. My advice to help would be to ensure proper clean up crew (check out reefcleaners.org) and dosing of live phyto.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone take a while to show their mood. Rock anemone are probably the easiest to keep though. I had a terrible time with bubble tips until around a year. I could keep them alive before then, however no growth.

This hobby is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. The real test for you will come when the uglies kick in. For me, it was months 6-10 or so.

I will never use dry rock again to start a tank from this. My advice to help would be to ensure proper clean up crew (check out reefcleaners.org) and dosing of live phyto.
When you refer to the "uglies", what do you mean?

Is a "clean up crew" that important to a reef tank? Clean up crew meaning snails, crabs, whatever is referred to on these websites that offer "clean up crews"?.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you refer to the "uglies", what do you mean?

Is a "clean up crew" that important to a reef tank? Clean up crew meaning snails, crabs, whatever is referred to on these websites that offer "clean up crews"?.
Very important and yes, snails, crabs, utility fish etc....

Usually the only time people do not keep them is in a predator tank. Those are seldom reef tanks though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back