Algea growth?

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i bought this tank from someone. A few years old, and tons of algea is growing. It just has a canister filter as of now, an fx6 and the tank is 100 gallons. I see 100s of videos of massive tanks with no algea and whatnot anywhere. Not the rocks or glass. I only give 8 hours of lighting a day. An hour of that is full on blue light. I dont overfeed at all and i clean the algea and its back in a single day. I have to clean it a toothbrush everyday. Usually even twice a day for around half an hour. It doesnt stop. Is this because i need better filtration, clean up crew, or something? Would a tang or two just help me keep it a little cleaner? I dont have a single algea eating fish right now.

Also the algea is brown hair algea

Last edited:

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same problem just on my glass green algae I use a razor scraper to clean glass but back in two days, I wonder the same how to get rid of this .

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of things that can help. I'm no expert but I think my algae is in check mostly from my refugium, algae turf scrubber, light control, livestock, and filtration. My refugium and algae turf scrubber competes to most of the green in my system. In the tank, my blue lights are on 6:30am-9pm and white lights are 12pm-6. Crabs and shrimp eat uneaten food. Crabs, snails and fish munch on algae. Skimmer or filter sock catches any other floating nutrients.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back