cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
here's some pictures, anybody have any idea what it is and how I can get rid of it?

image.jpeg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms based on the picture... What color is it under white light?? and does it look like slime ?

OP
OP
cohlton

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas as to why when the lights are getting close to turning off it goes away?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cyanobacteria maybe combined with diatoms. The cyanobacteria can move gliding and they move into the ground to refresh their intracellular nutrient stores. Especially phosphate concentration is much higher in the ground and the cyanos store phosphate as polyphosphate. In the morning they move back to the light for photosynthesis.

OP
OP
cohlton

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cyanobacteria maybe combined with diatoms. The cyanobacteria can move gliding and they move into the ground to refresh their intracellular nutrient stores. Especially phosphate concentration is much higher in the ground and the cyanos store phosphate as polyphosphate. In the morning they move back to the light for photosynthesis.

Should I gravel vacuum them out? I tested no3 and p04 with salifert both came back with zero? I rinse my frozen food in rodi (0 tds).

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is best to remove them with a gravel cleaner repeatedly. Vacuum them out with every water change.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, quite sure. The reddish and greenish parts are mainly cyanos, the brownish part may be more diatoms. Both frequently appear together, maybe a kind of symbiosis. To be 100 % sure you need a microscope.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back