Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only just ordered mine today from aliexpress so I’m unsure

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the link I shared from Alibaba?

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post from Alibaba is misleading it says A8 but the seller told me it is really A8SE. Beware.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alibaba is more B2B oriented, AliExpress is more to consumers. I've ordered from AliE several times with a mostly good experience.

There is always a dice roll with ordering from half way around the world...

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0029.png

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get it in to english
install app and open it
when it’s open click on the man icon at the bottom
then when that window opens up it the very end one to change language

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering which lights to get for my new 50 gallon low boy frag tank. It is shallow, just 10" tall, but with large horizontal area (48 x 24"). So I don't need a lot of power, but more coverage.

Options being considered:
1. AI Blade: 3 units of 21" blades oriented parallel to the 24" side. 2 grows, 1 glow.
2. A80: 2 or 3 units of the A80 version (Meanwell, Cree, etc.).

Your feedback is appreciated.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Carnot comment as I have only just ordered the light

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering which lights to get for my new 50 gallon low boy frag tank. It is shallow, just 10" tall, but with large horizontal area (48 x 24"). So I don't need a lot of power, but more coverage.

Options being considered:
1. AI Blade: 3 units of 21" blades oriented parallel to the 24" side. 2 grows, 1 glow.
2. A80: 2 or 3 units of the A80 version (Meanwell, Cree, etc.).

Your feedback is appreciated.

I also can’t comment as I don’t have the lights. After looking at the light, I ended up going a different direction with my current metal halides.

That said, you’re looking at a comparable cost (if you went with 3 - A8’s). The main difference you’ll have is the customer support (or possible lack there of with the A8) if something goes wrong.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can’t comment as I don’t have the lights. After looking at the light, I ended up going a different direction with my current metal halides.

That said, you’re looking at a comparable cost (if you went with 3 - A8’s). The main difference you’ll have is the customer support (or possible lack there of with the A8) if something goes wrong.
Yes, but what about light coverage? Let's assume that the A8's are equivalent to Radion X30 Pros. Then should I go with 2 of those or 3 AI Blades (21" oriented in the 24" side of the tank)?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you buy a extra a8 for the cost of the AI?
sotrry I don’t know how much they cost

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply recommends two XR30s for a 4ft tank. So two A8’s should provide the necessary coverage

Maul85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my 6 month review.

I have had the light running on my sps only tank (6 months old) since January of this year. I bought it for $250 USD shipped with a North American power supply. It is as close to a radion as you will ever see. The fans are the same, the lens cover is the same, the housing is near identical with the main difference being the cord runs through the back of this light. The LED count, color and type is the same. I have dissembled my radion G5s to compare components and the only striking difference is the radions run a 10 channel system controlling all colors of leds while the A8 runs 6 and the radion uses Bluetooth connectivity while the A8 uses wifi (will touch more on this).

I currently have the light running beside two g5 XR30 blues and 95% of people would not be able to tell the difference. The color blends perfectly and the par is actually slightly higher than that produced by the radions. The A8 runs a warmer color overall and more closely resembles the pro version of the radion but with minor tweaks in color you can produce the “radion blue” look with very similar par results. With the light set to full intensity I was pushing well over 800 par in the upper parts of the tank. I currently have it set to about 75% blue channels and 20-30% whites and reds and am achieving 600+ par at the top 6” and 150-250 on the bottom 24” down.

Upon first setup I initially struggled with programming the light as it is in Chinese and the English app was not functional at the time. With the help of Google translate and some back and fourth with the supplier I managed to get the Chinese app working while they made improvements to the English app (which is now fully functional). After setup I took the time to create a manual for the light that I provided to the supplier with illustrations on how to program the Chinese app if you only know English. Feel free to reach out and I will provide the document.

As for the connection. I have found it more reliable than the radions Mobius. I have come home many times to my radions being out of schedule, changing times, and only running red/green/individual channels. In all my time with the A8 I only lost connectivity twice. The first time the power went out and the light was running 1h behind schedule until I opened the app and set to current time. The other time the light must have completely lost connectivity and reset to the default 5% on all channels until I reconnected.

Now does it grow coral? Absolutely and oddly enough all my most vivid pieces are underneath the A8.

I have been so impressed with this light that I put my radion G5s up for sale. I figured for the price I sell my G5s for I can purchase about 10 of these lights as they give a discount on 10 units. In all aspects I see that as a win.
Hi Matt. I too bought A8se coral lights after reading your article. I too am struggle with the setup. Could I get the manual you created to help me setup my lights? I would really appreciate it.

Maul85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my 6 month review.

I have had the light running on my sps only tank (6 months old) since January of this year. I bought it for $250 USD shipped with a North American power supply. It is as close to a radion as you will ever see. The fans are the same, the lens cover is the same, the housing is near identical with the main difference being the cord runs through the back of this light. The LED count, color and type is the same. I have dissembled my radion G5s to compare components and the only striking difference is the radions run a 10 channel system controlling all colors of leds while the A8 runs 6 and the radion uses Bluetooth connectivity while the A8 uses wifi (will touch more on this).

I currently have the light running beside two g5 XR30 blues and 95% of people would not be able to tell the difference. The color blends perfectly and the par is actually slightly higher than that produced by the radions. The A8 runs a warmer color overall and more closely resembles the pro version of the radion but with minor tweaks in color you can produce the “radion blue” look with very similar par results. With the light set to full intensity I was pushing well over 800 par in the upper parts of the tank. I currently have it set to about 75% blue channels and 20-30% whites and reds and am achieving 600+ par at the top 6” and 150-250 on the bottom 24” down.

Upon first setup I initially struggled with programming the light as it is in Chinese and the English app was not functional at the time. With the help of Google translate and some back and fourth with the supplier I managed to get the Chinese app working while they made improvements to the English app (which is now fully functional). After setup I took the time to create a manual for the light that I provided to the supplier with illustrations on how to program the Chinese app if you only know English. Feel free to reach out and I will provide the document.

As for the connection. I have found it more reliable than the radions Mobius. I have come home many times to my radions being out of schedule, changing times, and only running red/green/individual channels. In all my time with the A8 I only lost connectivity twice. The first time the power went out and the light was running 1h behind schedule until I opened the app and set to current time. The other time the light must have completely lost connectivity and reset to the default 5% on all channels until I reconnected.

Now does it grow coral? Absolutely and oddly enough all my most vivid pieces are underneath the A8.

I have been so impressed with this light that I put my radion G5s up for sale. I figured for the price I sell my G5s for I can purchase about 10 of these lights as they give a discount on 10 units. In all aspects I see that as a win.
Hi Matt. I too purchased the A8se coral reef lights. I am struggling with the app. I have the English version but can't figure out how to save my setting or set the timer. I bought these lights after reading your article. I have mostly lps corals and they already seem to be enjoying these lights. Could I get the English manual you created for these lights?

Back