Alk 4.8.... whatttttt!!!

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the first person I've read that had the issue. I'm hoping it isn't consistently low.
It will be. See below from BRS product page.

Parameters:
Alkalinity - 7(approx)
Calcium - 440 ppm (approx)
Magnesium - 1350 ppm (approx

OP
OP
reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be. See below from BRS product page.

Parameters:
Alkalinity - 7(approx)
Calcium - 440 ppm (approx)
Magnesium - 1350 ppm (approx

You know I had read that and for some reason it didn't sink in. I thought it was supposed to be around 8 for one reason or another. Completely my fault.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you calibrated your refractometer or digital salinity meter? The reason I ask is if you aren't mixing to 1.025-26 then the alk and other levels will be fairly low. I've had more than one occasion helping a customer with low parameters that the culprit was bad calibration on the salinity measuring device.

OP
OP

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you calibrated your refractometer or digital salinity meter? The reason I ask is if you aren't mixing to 1.025-26 then the alk and other levels will be fairly low. I've had more than one occasion helping a customer with low parameters that the culprit was bad calibration on the salinity measuring device.

Each time I fill my AWC, which about every 2-3 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the first person I've read that had the issue. I'm hoping it isn't consistently low.

I think the Checker is likely testing low. It's pretty easy to make a reference solution... Also, I use API, it's super fast, easy, and I have found it to be more consistent than Salifert. At one time I had three different Salifert kits that had a range of nearly 2.5 dKH.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, you should see Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt, when mixed to 1.0264, test out at about 7-8 dKH, within a small margin of error (it's not unusual to see a 6.5 or 8.5 bucket). You may want to keep your reef system at whatever alkalinity you feel would be best for you. But remember that natural sea water conditions on reefs, is about 6.5 dKH worldwide.

Back