Alk Additive question.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been covered and I've searched...so sorry in advance. I'm currently using Red Sea alk @58 ml per day. It's a 125 gallon tank but I figure after displacement plus sump I'm around 110 gallons total. Red sea says 1ml per 100 liters is .036 meq/L (0.1 dkh). With my gorilla math that should be about 1.34 dkh or .485 meq/L per day of alk consumption. My ph jumps up to 8.4/5ish during the day and about 8.6+ when out of town then around 8.1/8.2 at night. I don't think I need a ph boost alk supplement. I'm looking to replace the alk and not the calcium I'm dosing and having trouble figuring out what to use. I use red sea calcium at 28 ml per day which is half of my alk dosage. I'm not against going 2 part or anything but need some guidance. It's a tank full of acros doing excellent so I don't want to mess around with roller coaster numbers when I switch. I can't find what the diy mix adds per 100 liters (25/26 gallons) to help aid with a smooth transition of dosing something new. Anyhoo...help/advice is appreciated! Again..sorry..I know the topic has to get old..just couldn't find anything in these specific requests
Thank you.
Ryan

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You know I'm not an expert on these things but try switching from a carbonate to a bicarbonate alkalinity? Bicarbonate raises pH more than carbonate if I recall correctly.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yelling Steve Carell GIF

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I'm not an expert on these things but try switching from a carbonate to a bicarbonate alkalinity? Bicarbonate raises pH more than carbonate if I recall correctly.
You have it back to front.

Sodium Carbonate raises pH, Sodium Bicarbonate may cause a slight drop in pH.

I don't know the composition of the Red Sea additive, but as it appears to cloud the water I've always assumed it is Sodium Carbonate based.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that each tank is different, based on Alk consumption. I used to dose many years ago but switched to CaRx and never going back. If you ask me - I don’t even know what my CaRx is set at either. I just increase / decrease CO2 while observing Alk (Trident). Once settled to a good range (I’m 8.5ish), I just keep it there. All I do is to increase CO2 when Alk demand increased. Same with 2-part dosing - you adjust based on testing result during the transition. Why all the complicated math? The idea is to do it slowly over a course of a week or two.

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I said..I don't think I need a ph boost. Soda ash will raise ph half of kalk apparently where as to sodium bicarbonate is not supposed to. I think that's correct but it's all new to me. I've always used red sea alk.

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that each tank is different, based on Alk consumption. I used to dose many years ago but switched to CaRx and never going back. If you ask me - I don’t even know what my CaRx is set at either. I just increase / decrease CO2 while observing Alk (Trident). Once settled to a good range (I’m 8.5ish), I just keep it there. All I do is to increase CO2 when Alk demand increased. Same with 2-part dosing - you adjust based on testing result during the transition. Why all the complicated math? The idea is to do it slowly over a course of a week or two.
I run socks and rocks...no skimmer, no reactors and want to avoid them. Just looking for a cheaper way to dose alk.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
little plug here for the BRS Calcium, Alk and Mag supplements. Been using them for years. I buy the 35 pound bucket and it lasts all year. You may not need to buy in such bulk, but I have found it to be the cheapest.

How are you dosing? Just dump and go or do you have a doser of some sort?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming not baking it correct?
Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, if you bake it you end up with Sodium Carbonate.

So you choose whether you want the pH boost or not, and also depending on how potent you wish to make the solution.

Sodium Carbonate (baked) is more soluble so you can make a stronger solution.

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, if you bake it you end up with Sodium Carbonate.

So you choose whether you want the pH boost or not, and also depending on how potent you wish to make the solution.

Sodium Carbonate (baked) is more soluble so you can make a stronger solution.
Thank you!

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little plug here for the BRS Calcium, Alk and Mag supplements. Been using them for years. I buy the 35 pound bucket and it lasts all year. You may not need to buy in such bulk, but I have found it to be the cheapest.

How are you dosing? Just dump and go or do you have a doser of some sort?
I have a kamoer dosers for alk, cal, phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I need a ph boost alk supplement. I'm looking to replace the alk and not the calcium I'm dosing

I'm not clear why you are looking to change?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a kamoer dosers for alk, cal, phosphate.

Easy decision for me then, I would dose the 2 part stuff from BRS.

I have 10 gallon tanks that I fill up with the additive and dose from there. You could go with smaller little tanks if you have less space. I started with 5 gallon tanks but moved to the 10 gallons this last deployment. In my case I have to refill the tanks every 2-2.5 months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because dosing this much red sea alk is expensive. Just looking for a cheaper alternative.

Cheapest would be to swap in baking soda for the Red Sea alk part.

Better would be:

1. One of my DIY two part systems (e.g., BRS) using three part doses are directed. Cheapest, but not ionically complete.
2. DIY two part (no part 3) plus Balling part C ( cheaper and just as good as B-ionic and Full Balling)
3. ESV B-ionic, Full Balling, and possibly other compelte two part systems

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest would be to swap in baking soda for the Red Sea alk part.

Better would be:

1. One of my DIY two part systems (e.g., BRS) using three part doses are directed. Cheapest, but not ionically complete.
2. DIY two part (no part 3) plus Balling part C ( cheaper and just as good as B-ionic and Full Balling)
3. ESV B-ionic, Full Balling, and possibly other compelte two part systems
Thank you!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's what I said..I don't think I need a ph boost. Soda ash will raise ph half of kalk apparently where as to sodium bicarbonate is not supposed to. I think that's correct but it's all new to me. I've always used red sea alk.
Sorry, that's what I meant.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back