Alk Additive question.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you're looking for a "cheaper" alternative (albeit LONG term, ROI in 12-18 months?), go with a calcium reactor. At 110g full of acros and growing (and likely a lot of coralline), you might be consuming 0.75 - 1dKH/day? At 58mls/day, I'm guestimating that you're currently paying ~$45/mo in Alk alone? You're supposed to dose Ca in equal amount so $90/mo total? Switching to BRS (or other DIY solutions) may bring you down to $60/mo - $720/year? Again, guessing on my part.

Understand that the upfront cost can be daunting but one can put together a decent CaRx system for less than $500 in the used market. The media might cost you ~$30/year going forward. Additionally, it's less work mixing jugs and all. I just change my media once / year -- just set it and forget it!

My 2c

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you're looking for a "cheaper" alternative (albeit LONG term, ROI in 12-18 months?), go with a calcium reactor. At 110g full of acros and growing (and likely a lot of coralline), you might be consuming 0.75 - 1dKH/day? At 58mls/day, I'm guestimating that you're currently paying ~$45/mo in Alk alone? You're supposed to dose Ca in equal amount so $90/mo total? Switching to BRS (or other DIY solutions) may bring you down to $60/mo - $720/year? Again, guessing on my part.

Understand that the upfront cost can be daunting but one can put together a decent CaRx system for less than $500 in the used market. The media might cost you ~$30/year going forward. Additionally, it's less work mixing jugs and all. I just change my media once / year -- just set it and forget it!

My 2c
Especially as two part additive pricing has been going up so much over the last few years. I’ve been running a carx for less than a year now and I’m almost at the break even point where it would have paid for itself. I was paying a bit more for two part though as I switched to the pre measured one gallon packs when I was no longer able to weigh/measure/mix with my limitations. Fifteen bucks every three months for co2 (would be cheaper with a larger cylinder), twenty five ish for media my first six months. Dialing it in took some effort and lead to an additional purchase of a carbon doser but I have extremely limited vision and if I can do it….. anyone can

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you're looking for a "cheaper" alternative (albeit LONG term, ROI in 12-18 months?), go with a calcium reactor. At 110g full of acros and growing (and likely a lot of coralline), you might be consuming 0.75 - 1dKH/day? At 58mls/day, I'm guestimating that you're currently paying ~$45/mo in Alk alone?

Where did those numbers come from?

If you use baking soda, its far lower than you estimate.

A pound is less than 2 dollars and can raise 110 gallons by 1 dKH every day for more than a month.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did those numbers come from?

If you use baking soda, its far lower than you estimate.

A pound is less than 2 dollars and can raise 110 gallons by 1 dKH every day for more than a month.
I was looking at his current Red Sea 1000mls bottles as a sample - that's expensive at $29/1000mls = 17 days so he'll need 2 bottles a month = $60 + Ca (which he's not dosing in equal parts) -- that's how I got an estimated $90/mo.

With the BRS 2-part, you'll get a gallon of Alk and Ca for $47 + shipping. That's 3785mls / 58mls per day = 65 days (~2months), that's ~$23/month. I made a mistake here and added another one for Ca. So it will take ~24mos to break even on a CaRx.

Thanks for the correction. I should not have referenced "the DIY solutions", which means baking soda and it is a lot cheaper.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at his current Red Sea 1000mls bottles as a sample - that's expensive at $29/1000mls = 17 days so he'll need 2 bottles a month = $60 + Ca (which he's not dosing in equal parts) -- that's how I got an estimated $90/mo.

With the BRS 2-part, you'll get a gallon of Alk and Ca for $47 + shipping. That's 3785mls / 58mls per day = 65 days (~2months), that's ~$23/month. I made a mistake here and added another one for Ca. So it will take ~24mos to break even on a CaRx.

Thanks for the correction. I should not have referenced "the DIY solutions", which means baking soda and it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks. :)

OP
OP
billyocean

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how many meq/l the 297 gram bicarbonate 1 gallon solution adds per ml per 25 gallons?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back