Alk and phosphate madness.

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old. I have 2 duncans, 1 leather, 2 candy canes, 2 gsp, 4 zoas, 1 frogspawn, and 1 hammer. And i just gor 2 rock anemones. All doing fantastic. Its just lately my alk goes from 7.5 to 7.1 in a couple of days. Is that normal? Im new to this.

My mag is is 1350, and calcium 400. Is that being used being my corals? I dosed 4 days ago and ir dropped today to 7.1 from 7.4 is that a normal drop? And my phosphate was 0.05, now im at 0.02. I dosed reef roids, and neophos... alk i understand why phosphate though?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup very normal
P04 and n03 will drop as nutrients are exported through skimming or water changes.... corals need it as well which would cause some drp age over time

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup very normal
P04 and n03 will drop as nutrients are exported through skimming or water changes.... corals need it as well which would cause some drp age over time
Okay now heres the funny part. My skimmer completely off. And its been off for few months now till my tank mature. So how my phosphate being consumed?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you start woth dry or live rocl?

Once they are done absorbing it the rocks will start to release it and you will need to remove it so it doesn't climb too high.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start woth dry or live rocl?

Once they are done absorbing it the rocks will start to release it and you will need to remove it so it doesn't climb too high.
Im really hoping i get to that level, because its easier for me to remove it with water changes, then dose neophos, and reef roids to keep it in check. Caribsea rocks...

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya it can take a little bit. But better than 0 on them.

Be careful on the neophos and reefroids.

That's like dosing phos twice.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stony corals are using phos and nitrate. That isn’t a bad thing. Just have to find the balance. I have used TM All for Reef to keep Alk balanced. Some love it, some don’t like it.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great :)

I'd stay the course and when you need to start the skimmer you know the rocks are releasing.

Corals look happy and are using all nutrients as well.

There is some algea in the right places and maybe some cyno on the left side but my eyes aren't the best on phone videos lol just suck it out if it is.

IsaacHunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now heres the funny part. My skimmer completely off. And its been off for few months now till my tank mature. So how my phosphate being consumed?
turn the bloody skimmer back on again as your rocks are absorbing the PO4 and will then start leaching it and it will take ages to get rid of it.

Skimmer will remove excess waste from the tank including the left over food which otherwise will rot in the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back