Alk at 7.2

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is 7.2 Alk? I just tested with a new Hanna tester.
Ive been dosing (not sure how much is too much) 10ml a day for 3 days now and its only up to 7.7
Should I be dosing more than 10ml to get it up to mid 8's? Calcium and mag are spot on based on Salifert tests.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I was told that 8.3 dkH is "ideal" So thats why I was trying to raise it up a tad. Ill leave it be then.
Im using IO reef crystals and FritzPRO RPM (in between switching over to Fritz)

Fritz pro has an alk of 8.5. I like to target the salt I use so that way the alk matches, of course, you can increase or decrease the alk if needed. Not sure what coral you have but increase it slowly.

I've never heard of alk being 8.3 ideal, PH on the other hand is 8.3. I use TM Pro Reef and target an alk of 7.4

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe im getting it confused. Alk definitely measured 7.2 and now its 7.7 as of yesterday with dosing (ill stop because its fine)
The PH I can check when im home. I have a Hanna PH tester also. I believe the last time I tested it was maybe in the low 7's.
I have a Hanna phosphate and nitrate tester coming in today or tomorrow. All other testers are Salifert.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its real confusing being new and figuring out what to test for and whats critical and what doesn't really matter.
I have fish, loads of various corals in this tank.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest using the ocean as a reference.

Salinity 35 ppt
alkalinity around 7
pH fluctuates daily from about 7.9 to 8.1 (but considering the accuracy of hobby pH probes I ignore this completely and just focus on alkalinity)

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the salinity dead nuts at 1.025 and I should have no issue getting to 7alk again. It seems to drop .1 to .2 a day from what ive seen.
Calcium and mag ive tested a hand full of times and they are always where they need to be without dosing.
I only do a water change on this tank maybe once a month or once every other month.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said 7.2 is fine. I prefer around 9 myself, but its a big range that can be sucessful. Just make sure you try to keep it pretty steady is the key. Dont want to be bouncing up and down between 7 and 10 for example.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Reef Crystals usually has a higher Alk. But over 7.0 is fine. Preferably above 7.5. I am sort of in a similar situation, but I want mine between 7.5 and 8.0. But that's because I use tropic marin and it mixes at 7.0 Alk. I've heard mixing the salt helps keep parameters stable so you can consider doing that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back