Alk, calcium, and other elements in reef tank.

Jmas4

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
826
Reaction score
454
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help on how I'm going to balance my alk, calcium ect. I want to keep water changes to a minium 150 gallons a week would be too much so I want to dose alk and calcium or set up reactors.

1. For a 1500 gallon reef would dosing DYI 2 part, mag, and trace elements be better or having a calcium reactor, kalk Wasser reactor and dosing trace.

2 If I dose how should I make the solution? It's going to be DYI so I'm using baked baking soda for alk and some sort of calcium solution. I need help on what I need if I'm making my own solutions.

3 If I can make alk, calcium, and trace elements stable along with coral growth do I need to do waterchanges?
 
I would go with a calcium reactor for that size system. I would add vinegar spiked kalk if needed.
Do you need to do water changes? That is a much more difficult question that really only you can answer. I think the real questions is what do you want to accomplish/think is accomplished by water changes?
 
I want to reduce the water changes to 20 percent a month or something. Doing 150 gallon a week is too much. I decided to get a calcium reactor and dose kalk by baked baking soda. Do I need to dose trace elements.
 
I need some clarification. Calcium reactors will give back the same amount of calcium and alk a coral needs correct?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new