alk calcium

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noticed that when i dose alk is goes up but when i dose calcium it doesnt alk is 8.5 i dose 20ml a day calcium is 387 so i started slow with 10ml a day i was trying to get it up to 400 so far ive dosed over 100 ml in the past couple days but it does not go up i have alot coraline all over the rocks wall and the bottom tank is barebottom by the way i have a clam but dont think its consuming that much total water volume is 200 gallons i have mostly lps softies and a couple of frags of sps but all in all tank looks good is there something im doing wrong
test kit i use
alk hanna
calcium hanna
mag salifert

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the reef calculator you are looking at around 5-7 teaspoons of dry calcium chloride to move from 387 to 400.

The liquid you are dosing is just calcium chloride diluted in water. Depending on what brand it is the amount of calcium chloride diluted in it varies. Whatever the case it's mostly water. So, you can see why it's not denting your calcium much.

If you could tell us what brand it is we could probably calculate how much liquid you need.

Clams suck a surprising amount of calcium depending on their size.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using esv for 3 alk cal mag salt is tropic marin pro i do a water change once a month as far as the clam its about 4' inches more or else

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This result is exactly why you should not try to adjust calcium dosing based on testing except for occasional large corrections. That 100 mL of ESV-B-ionic that you dosed to 200 mL of water volume will only boost calcium by 8 ppm, which cannot be reliably detected with a test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok So how do I go about getting my calcium up to 400

Use the posted calculator and dose the amount needed. :)

my point was that you cannot see small changes with a calcium kit, and so should stick to 1:1 dosing based on alkalinity and on only deviate after you observe calcium for an extended period and see it has become too high or too low.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does one need to dose equal parts I thought that was if you was using the triton method

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use tropic marin pro reef salt after i mix i add alk to it to raise it as its way to low for me

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't under estimate how much calcium a clam will uptake, it is substantial. Good luck to you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does one need to dose equal parts I thought that was if you was using the triton method

Two parts were designed for equal parts dosing decades before Triton was a company.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was not aware of that and as far as magnesium?

I'm not aware of any recipes where the third part is equal parts to the other two, but there may be some.

My DIY two part recipe #1 uses 610 mL of the magnesium part for each gallon of the calcium/alk parts.

The original recipes (ESV-Bionic) and Tropic Marin Balling treated other ions differently.

ESV put all the other ions in one of the two part. Mangesium is in the calcium part.

Balling recipe put all the other ions in Part C.

Back