Alk dosing help

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to figure out how to dose baked baking soda to raise alk. I put this in a calculator. Right now I'm at 7. Want to reach 8. I'm gonna be hand dosing for now. But how do I know how much to mix? Is that number the amount of baking soda I mix? Would that be with RODI in a small cup and then added to the tank? Or in a gallon jar?

First time doing this. Any help or tips is highly appreciated

Screenshot_20201005-233549_Chrome.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not even that. Even with the liquid, I can't figure out how MUCH to dose so I don't over do it

What don't you understand? You plug in your tank size, your current alkalinity, what you want the alkalinity to be, choose the recipe you're using, then dose the mL it tells you to:

1601986666849.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not even that. Even with the liquid, I can't figure out how MUCH to dose so I don't over do it

Enter baking soda on the calculator. Enter 7 dKH for current and 8 dKH for target. Enter aquarium volume.

Calculate amount of baking soda needed.

That is the dry amount, and it can be dissolved in any amount of fresh water (enough to dissolve it).

Add half in the AM and half in the PM.

Done.

Remeasure next day, and repeat as needed.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enter baking soda on the calculator. Enter 7 dKH for current and 8 dKH for target. Enter aquarium volume.

Calculate amount of baking soda needed.

That is the dry amount, and it can be dissolved in any amount of fresh water (enough to dissolve it).

Add half in the AM and half in the PM.

Done.

Remeasure next day, and repeat as needed.
Okay that's what i wanted to know. Because it gave me 3.5 grams when I plugged it in. But I read the article about making it and that said to mix with a gallon of water. So I didn't know if I needed to mix the 3.5 grams with a gallon or any amount of RODI would be fine.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your "making" alk supplement via randy's DIY recipe, then you would put that in the calculator(recipe1, or recipe 2), not baking soda as the supplement.

FWIW, if your using BRS chemicals they are based on Randy's recipe 1.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator is saying you need to dose 35.7 ml of Randy's Recipe #1 Alk part.

Which I believe is made by mixing 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 cups of soda ash with enough RODI to equal 1 gallon.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator is saying you need to dose 35.7 ml of Randy's Recipe #1 Alk part.

Which I believe is made by mixing 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 cups of soda ash with enough RODI to equal 1 gallon.
Ok that makes sense. Thank you.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back