KustomAquarium

KustomAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 6 dkh today.

I agree thats a big amount of soda ash T once depending on the strength of solution.

Curious as to what your magnesium level is if you are having trouble balancing alk/cal.
It's weird my magnesium is over 1550, which it should be preventing the soda ash from precipitating out right?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 6 dkh today.

It's weird my magnesium is over 1550, which it should be preventing the soda ash from precipitating out right?

Wow thats pretty high, yeah it definitely helps prevent precipitation, but only to a certain extent.
How high did your pH get, the higher the pH gets in a system the more likely precipitation will happen, like when you have an overdose of kalkwasser (pH of 12) the resulting pH spike causes an alk crash.

100ml is a lot at once for a 220gal system, I generally dont exceed 100ml of alk component additions all at once to make adjustments, but the systems Im dealing with are 1000-1500gallons.

Curious as to how high the systems pH might have got?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 6 dkh today.

Magnesium tends to reduce precipitation, as does low pH, low alk, low calcium, high phosphate, and high organics. None of these things totally prevents it, unless the pH or alk are very low.

OP
OP
KustomAquarium

KustomAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats pretty high, yeah it definitely helps prevent precipitation, but only to a certain extent.
How high did your pH get, the higher the pH gets in a system the more likely precipitation will happen, like when you have an overdose of kalkwasser (pH of 12) the resulting pH spike causes an alk crash.

100ml is a lot at once for a 220gal system, I generally dont exceed 100ml of alk component additions all at once to make adjustments, but the systems Im dealing with are 1000-1500gallons.

Curious as to how high the systems pH might have got?

The highest it made it was 8.49 and even still it's been at 7.8-7.9 after the alk crash

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back