Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys to start out here is parameters:

Tank size: 45 gallons
Calcium: 425
Alk: 8.0
Mag:1230

alk is dropping at a rate of about 0.1dkh per day at this point, while mag is 30ppm a day. I’m replenishing it to keep it within range, however I was told that’s an extremely high drop for mag without significant drops in alk. Thoughts? What dosing supplement should I use going forward? The plan was all for reef, using an all in one would be ideal, however I was told that won’t keep up w the mag depletion. Water changes are not an alternative to dosing because my nutrients already read near or at zero.

My tank is new, through the cycle just put about 5 lps and 5 sps frags in 2 weeks or so ago, everything has open polyps.

Ps. I’m using instant ocean reef crystals which mixes out to 8dkh. So I would like to stay at or above that.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend B ionic two part for your dosing. I’ve had great success with it and that’s all I dose. I check my calcium and alkalinity but don’t worry about testing Magnesium. Maybe I should but I haven’t in two years of using B ionic and everything is growing well.

Check it out and see if it will work for you.

I did use to dose an all in one before and never had anywhere near the stability and success I’ve had with b ionic.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk is dropping at a rate of about 0.1dkh per day at this point, while mag is 30ppm a day. I’m replenishing it to keep it within range,

That drop cannot be anything except test error or a salinity drop.

At 0.1 dKH alk consumed per day, magnesium consumption cannot be more than about 0.07 ppm per day.

Definitely time for RMM:

OP
OP
F

faiz_latif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That drop cannot be anything except test error or a salinity drop.

At 0.1 dKH alk consumed per day, magnesium consumption cannot be more than about 0.07 ppm per day.

Definitely time for RMM:

See this would make sense if my mag didn’t read 1170 ppm before starting dosing it. That’s generally accepted to be too low right? so if I followed RMM my goni’s and hammers would likely be ticked from the lack of mag, no?

Also doesn’t all for reef have a mag component to it? Why was I told I would have to dose it separately?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this would make sense if my mag didn’t read 1170 ppm before starting dosing it. That’s generally accepted to be too low right? so if I followed RMM my goni’s and hammers would likely be ticked from the lack of mag, no?

Also doesn’t all for reef have a mag component to it? Why was I told I would have to dose it separately?

the whole premise is that the 1170 likely isn’t accurate, but RMM keeps magnesium where it is. It does not fix real problems.

What does testing of your new salt water say?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

faiz_latif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the whole premise is that the 1170 likely isn’t accurate, but RMM keeps magnesium where it is. It does not fix real problems.

What does testing of your new salt water say?
New saltwater is 1230. Still on the lower end. Reef crystals is what I’m using.

Sorry it took so long to reply I waited to do a water change and checked the mag in the bucket.

The test is fairly consistent generally, and raises the days I add mag while it lowers with the absence of it. So it has to be accurate to some degree? Right? (Salifert test)

I’d like to be at 1300-1350

Also maybe I’m crazy but when the mag drops below 1200ppm goni’s look to be closed up.

Also there was no salinity drop, consistent at 1.026.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New saltwater is 1230. Still on the lower end. Reef crystals is what I’m using.

Sorry it took so long to reply I waited to do a water change and checked the mag in the bucket.

The test is fairly consistent generally, and raises the days I add mag while it lowers with the absence of it. So it has to be accurate to some degree? Right? (Salifert test)

I’d like to be at 1300-1350

Also maybe I’m crazy but when the mag drops below 1200ppm goni’s look to be closed up.

Also there was no salinity drop, consistent at 1.026.

I do not know if your test is accurate, but if it were me, and assuming I believed the test result, I'd either switch to a higher magnesium salt mix, or add some to that new salt water every time you make it instead of trying to keep adjusting the aquarium. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back