alk drops after water changes

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal mixed reef (30 gal sump) that I do a 10 gal water change on every 2 weeks (ish). I've noticed that my alk consistently drops the day after the water changes. Between changes it stays 8.2-8.5, but after changes it drops to 7.7 or so. I test my fresh saltwater before my change and it is usually around 9.0, Fritz salt. This time it dropped from 8.7 (I was a little high for some reason) to 7.7.

If my saltwater is testing approximately where I want it, how do I prevent this? I don't see any new precipitate.

TIA

Cindy

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal mixed reef (30 gal sump) that I do a 10 gal water change on every 2 weeks (ish). I've noticed that my alk consistently drops the day after the water changes. Between changes it stays 8.2-8.5, but after changes it drops to 7.7 or so. I test my fresh saltwater before my change and it is usually around 9.0, Fritz salt. This time it dropped from 8.7 (I was a little high for some reason) to 7.7.

If my saltwater is testing approximately where I want it, how do I prevent this? I don't see any new precipitate.

TIA

Cindy
Bump

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let it mix before you do the waterchange? Do you test the new mixed saltwater right before you do the waterchange?

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your water at the same salinity and temperature? I believe they both influence tested alkalinity.

Makomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that happen when I used Fritz salt . I keep my Alk at around 8dkh and the new salt mix is 8.5dkh at 1.025 but after the 10-15% WC for couple hours my tank Alk is at 7.0-7.5. I don't know why it happen but after switching to regular IO I don't have the drop anymore.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let it mix before you do the waterchange? Do you test the new mixed saltwater right before you do the waterchange?

2 hours max, and yes

Is your water at the same salinity and temperature? I believe they both influence tested alkalinity.

Yes to both

I have that happen when I used Fritz salt . I keep my Alk at around 8dkh and the new salt mix is 8.5dkh at 1.025 but after the 10-15% WC for couple hours my tank Alk is at 7.0-7.5. I don't know why it happen but after switching to regular IO I don't have the drop anymore.

So your alk stays low for a couple of hours, then returns to normal? Or drops a couple of hours after the water change?

I've never tested immediately following a water change. I have a box of Kent that I won in a raffle - I think I am going to switch to that for a while and see what happens. Although it would suck if I need to switch, I have 3 boxes of Fritz in the basement :(

Makomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your alk stays low for a couple of hours, then returns to normal? Or drops a couple of hours after the water change?

I've never tested immediately following a water change. I have a box of Kent that I won in a raffle - I think I am going to switch to that for a while and see what happens. Although it would suck if I need to switch, I have 3 boxes of Fritz in the basement :(

My Alk stay low until I dose soda ash to bring it up. I have seen others have low alk with fresh mix Fritz salt after 24hr of mixing around 7dkh. Bad batch maybe? Try test the Alk on a new mix Fritz salt after 24HR of mixing and see whats the number.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back