ALK Drops but not CAL

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it says i dose B-Ionic 2 part. I keep my DKH at 8 and my cal sits at 450-460. For some reason my tank consumes alk way faster than cal. Is it ok to just dose alk and cal as needed or do i have to dose each one in equal amounts?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it says i dose B-Ionic 2 part. I keep my DKH at 8 and my cal sits at 450-460. For some reason my tank consumes alk way faster than cal. Is it ok to just dose alk and cal as needed or do i have to dose each one in equal amounts?
It is perfectly okay to dose either of those as needed to maintain proper parameters :) you definitely don't want to over dose.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is perfectly okay to dose either of those as needed to maintain proper parameters :) you definitely don't want to over dose.

Good looking out! I think I was overthinking it since it says dose 2 parts of each equally but it made no sense in my head to dose alk if its already that high but I dose ALK daily.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking out! I think I was overthinking it since it says dose 2 parts of each equally but it made no sense in my head to dose alk if its already that high but I dose ALK daily.
You also only need to dose what your corals consume, the instructions on the bottles can be a bit misleading sometimes.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got tired of manually dosing and that was one weeks worth of labor Lol. Manual dosing takes away from the hobby imo. I recommend buying a good doser. Doesn't have to be GHL or Apex ready but one that has a better reputation than Jebao's hit or miss dosers. I check my params once to twice per month (not an SPS tank). Checking is just for notes, however I do visually check corals daily. That usually gives me a clue to reconsider the biweekly test.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also only need to dose what your corals consume, the instructions on the bottles can be a bit misleading sometimes.

Yeah I agree B Ionic is great but misleading from the way i read it. But all corals look good just got into SPS and they look better in my tank than who i got them from its been 3 weeks. Do you guys recommend a good doser? I dont have apex and dont plan on getting one lol @nautical_nathaniel @West1

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for inexpensive and high quality I recommend the Coral Box WiFi $180 from reefbreaders. If you don’t have a budget go for the GHL. I have the Coral Box and I love it.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I agree B Ionic is great but misleading from the way i read it. But all corals look good just got into SPS and they look better in my tank than who i got them from its been 3 weeks. Do you guys recommend a good doser? I dont have apex and dont plan on getting one lol @nautical_nathaniel @West1

I really like my reefdoser evo 4. It doesn't look the best but the good reviews and controller is what sold me. My doser is under my stand with containers and controller is outside my stand. No need to bend over and reach behind my stand to adjust the dosing! I don't have an apex either and that's why I went with this doser.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations guys I will def look into these two and make a selection Im tight on room in my stand so size will be a factor I may have to make a shelf under my stand for it regardless Sump and ATO container take up pretty much all my space. @West1 @Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Box is small. There’s no display as it’s all WiFi. I’m guessing 3”x5” is all the room you’ll need.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Box is small. There’s no display as it’s all WiFi. I’m guessing 3”x5” is all the room you’ll need.
Yeah im going to get the coral box or the GHL i just saw both of them. Now the issue will be to get a nice small dosing containers I like the SIMPLICITY DOSING CONTAINER- 3 X 2 LITER. If only it came in red to match my plumbing

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im going to get the coral box or the GHL i just saw both of them. Now the issue will be to get a nice small dosing containers I like the SIMPLICITY DOSING CONTAINER- 3 X 2 LITER. If only it came in red to match my plumbing
Check out the voss water bottle DIY dosing containers

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E1829EE6-CADE-4654-A48D-3B3C13563263.jpeg
770F64E9-E9D4-4A5C-853E-CC5DB23992EB.jpeg
I have 3 stackable 1 gallon jugs I got from Walmart for 99 cents each that I use. I have them side by side. Can’t beat the price and size. Lol. If you want to stack them just make your hole on the side.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hitman looks good man I have slim to no room and I hate clutter lol im weird. Since you have the Coral Box doser what are pros and cons of it other than price? I looked at it and the GHL and they both seem equal other than $$$

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only con I have with it is each channel can only dose once a hour. So for me to dose Kalk every 30 minuets I have to use 2 channels. That’s the only thing the GHL has over it in my opinion and that’s not worth twice the price to me as I had a channel not being used. So in my case CH 1 is CA CH2 is ALK and CH3&4 are kalk. Hope that helps.
Oh and BRS sells very very slime like 2” thick gallon jugs cheap if you need something like that.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking out @Hitman! Yeah that being your only con im leaning towards the Coral Box since I will be doing mainly LPS with very few SPS i dont think dosing ALK only once every hour " I do not use KALK" will be an issue, also since it seems easier to program. I'm a keep it simple type of guy.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E1829EE6-CADE-4654-A48D-3B3C13563263.jpeg
770F64E9-E9D4-4A5C-853E-CC5DB23992EB.jpeg
I have 3 stackable 1 gallon jugs I got from Walmart for 99 cents each that I use. I have them side by side. Can’t beat the price and size. Lol. If you want to stack them just make your hole on the side.

I got 1 gallon cereal containers from target they were on sale because the corners were chipped payed $5 each drilled tiny hole to allow a tad of air in since the lids are well sealed works like a charm and fit easy under my display Since they are tall and stack

https://www.target.com/p/8-w-x-4-d-...nap-lid-clear-made-by-design-153/-/A-52380577

Back