Alk goes up calc goes down

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im noticing a trend in my daily numbers. It seems as my all goes up my cal goes down. I know the higher the alk the more calcium intake corals use but would i notice a drastic difference in daily swings?

i am dosing daily and trying to even out the numbers and get my cal to 450 steady without raising too fast at once

note
i was dosing alk daily until it hit 9 then i did not dose alk again until it hit 8.2

AE5EFE31-35FF-4049-AC97-25915903E6BF.jpeg

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im noticing a trend in my daily numbers. It seems as my all goes up my cal goes down. I know the higher the alk the more calcium intake corals use but would i notice a drastic difference in daily swings?

i am dosing daily and trying to even out the numbers and get my cal to 450 steady without raising too fast at once
AE5EFE31-35FF-4049-AC97-25915903E6BF.jpeg
Are you dosing organic carbons?

if not I suspect test error.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing all at once or throughout the day? Also are you consistently testing at the same time every day or at random times
Im dosing once per day at the same times every day
And testing at 10pm every night

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing organic carbons?

if not I suspect test error.
I am dosing triton other methods

what makes you think test error?

i was dosing alk daily until it hit 9 then i did not dose alk again until it hit 8.2

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing once per day at the same times every day
And testing at 10pm every night
Are you also dosing calcium? If so how much have you been dosing every day of calcium and alkalinity? Have you been dosing different amounts each day or the same quantity?

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also dosing calcium? If so how much have you been dosing every day of calcium and alkalinity? Have you been dosing different amounts each day or the same quantity?
I mostly doze the same amount but if i test and notice my cal is down i dose 2x the amount to try get it back up.

im trying to find out if scientifically if i raise the alk does the cal test lower or is my coral really eating that much cal when my alk goes up? Should i dose cal to 450 and then stop dosing to see how fast it drops daily?

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re alk supplement has high ph and you’re increasing the dosage to reach a high alk number it might cause some precipitation which may be a reason as to why the calcium might be going down
What do you mean by cause precipitation? How do i know if my alk is high ph?

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly doze the same amount but if i test and notice my cal is down i dose 2x the amount to try get it back up.

im trying to find out if scientifically if i raise the alk does the cal test lower or is my coral really eating that much cal when my alk goes up? Should i dose cal to 450 and then stop dosing to see how fast it drops daily?
As for your test, you can try it but corals respond differently to sudden changes so you might want to Keep your calcium at 450 for some time that way your corals can adjust to the calcium level before you cut it off. A better test that might cause less stress in your coral would be to raise your alk to a higher value and keep it consistent. Then adjust your dosage of calcium until it remains consistent at 450 for some time and compare how much your new dosage amount is compared to what you are currently dosing

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your test, you can try it but corals respond differently to sudden changes so you might want to Keep your calcium at 450 for some time that way your corals can adjust to the calcium level before you cut it off. A better test that might cause less stress in your coral would be to raise your alk to a higher value and keep it consistent. Then adjust your dosage of calcium until it remains consistent at 450 for some time and compare how much your new dosage amount is compared to what you are currently dosing
Ok maybe ill stick with what im doing now which is figure out how yo keep my alk steady then adjust cal since i assume corals have less adverse reaction to lower cal then to alk swings

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s nothing to figure out in relation to calcification consumption. It is fixed at 18-20 ppm calcium per 1 meq/L (1.4 dKH) of alk.

If there is an effect other than testing issues, it comes from other sources and sinks for alk. Declining or dosing nitrate, for example, adds alkalinity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back