ALK is way to high Help needed

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think I have a huge problem my ALK is way to high for some time now and dont know how to get it down. I did search the forums and it say leave it and will go down it self but this is not happing at, been like this for 2 months, coarls are not dying or anything but are not growin and I have about 20 SPS frag in my 120g tek tank bb with 30g sump.
also saw somthing about doing water change right now every tuesday i do a WC of 15g is this to much or to little to bring the ALK down plz help i just want to get it to around 8-9dkh not 15.4. Also i havent dose anything into the tank well phytoplankton about once a week could this be the cuase and i also use an ro/di system and reef crystals salt.

Thanx in advance

dkh 15.4
cal 500
pH 8.1-8.2
Sg 1.025
Temp 79-80F
Mag 1400
Phosphates 0 undetectable Salifert Test
Nitrates 0 undetectable Salifert Test
Nitrites 0 undetectable Salifert Test

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change or if you ever heard of using small amounts of seltzer water to lower it.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprized even with RC salt that it is 15Alk, I would think a testing error, since according to the last salt test RC Alk ran 13 at 1.0264SG, I use RC and mix to 1.025SG and my Alk runs about 11 with API test kit. I never heard about selzer water to lower Alk, just PH from the CO2 in it, but may have learned something new.

OP
OP
funny718

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanx guys for ur help i only did another 15g water change and saw it drop down to 13dkh so i knew that was the way to go so right now its still at 13dkh ill do another water change in a day or so and see if it comes down some more.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back