Alk jumped from 7.7 to 9.9 during cycle

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 days of consistent alk levels with a Salifert test during the beginning stages of a cycle, today it reads 9.9. I figured I messed the test up so repeated with the same result. It seems like too large of a jump to not be user error.

I finally started my Waterbox 20 Cube this past Saturday using WWC mixed water and have been testing alk, ammonia, and nitrate daily (pH tests arriving tomorrow - shipping delay...). Ammonia and Nitrate are acting appropriately (see below) with ghost feeding.

The water has the classic white milky cloudiness, and I know that the 0.5 and below readings are basically useless, but the test has also gotten a bit cloudier in the past day or so. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

1610659008997.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you did a water change, or nitrate declined substantially (which perhaps it did), it is likely test error. Just because the current value is reproducible with a given kit, doesn't mean that it or the earlier value(or both) are necessarily correct.

Top of is RO/DI, or tap water (the latter can contain alk)?

OP
OP
stylolvr

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I feel like it has to be test error. I haven’t done a water change yet and nitrates have slowly started to increase with a few days of ghost feeding.

Top of is RODI also from WWC with an ATO.

OP
OP
stylolvr

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests this morning reflect similar results to yesterday.

Temp: 77.4
Alk: 10.2
Ammonia: 0.25 (or at least less cloudy than yesterday - still essentially a nil value)
Nitrate: 10 (a good sign!)

I think I was just conducting the alk tests improperly the first few days. An alk of 10.2 doesn't seem unreasonable, it's more about consistency, right?

OP
OP
stylolvr

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using pre-mixed Brightwell NeoMarine from WWC. I didn't test the alk of the water before I added it to the tank, but their website says it mixes to about 7.5. So perhaps the 10ish results are wrong? I'm headed into WWC today anyway to pick up a glass cleaner so I'll take a sample with me to see what they come up with.

OP
OP
stylolvr

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC tested alk at 8.3 so I guess I need some practice with the test procedure. They confirmed my other parameters and agreed that the cycle is almost complete. Just a waiting game now. Thanks everyone for the help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back