ALK keeps dropping????????

capt85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have been dosing kalk and I am slowly adding baked baking soda daily and I it has been slow going.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep me to its just so frustrating...

Alkalinity appears to drop faster than calcium, in many cases, simply because there is a lot more calcium than alkalinity in seawater.

So when they drop proportionally due to incorporation into coral skeletons, (say, ~2.8 dKH for each ~18 ppm calcium), alkalinity is dropping by about 40% of the natural seawater value while calcium is only dropping by about 4% of the natural seawater value. Since most hobby kits cannot accurately see small calcium changes, it often appears that alk is dropping and calcium is not, while in reality they are both dropping proportionally.

Some salt mixes used for water changes are also overbalanced toward calcium, making the true demand ratio hard to detect.

Ladysabertooth2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do also notice my calcium is dropping as well, I just increased both and will continue to watch. I also have come to the conclusion I need a dosing pump. This manual dosing is for the birds! I guess my sps are taking in more than I thought.. they are growing. Funny you don't realize it until you look back at photos and go wow that has grown.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back