Alk keeps staying high

sabyhappy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m using aquaforest reef salt
My alk was 10.58 then went up to 11.59 but that was when I was using dechlorinated tap water and the Salt.
I have since turned over all the water volume in my tank to rodi+aquaforest reef salt
But my alk is still high on Feb 6th it was 9.96
A 5 gallon water change was done between Feb 6 th and Feb 13th (the premade salt Mixed before I added to my tank was reading 7)
Today Feb 13th it’s 9.85
Anyone have any idea why it’s still high and seems to be creeping up slowly as the week goes on.
I have not used any kalk paste for aptasia
I feed marine flakes as well as pellets and mysis.
Photo of my tank attached to possibly help

8C9F3736-CE8C-4B57-A7E5-208BE2DDC3D3.jpeg

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you should post everything about your tank. Size and perameters for people to be able to help. I know when my calcium was low my alk was high I now have even staying stable using aquaforest 1+2+3

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you said, it went down. From 9.96 to 9.85. I don’t think Aquaforest salt mixes to 7 (supposed to be 8-9), so I wonder if the salt wasn’t fully dissolved when you tested the water change water.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you did the "full turnover" but unless it was literally draining the whole thing and refilling you will have some of that "old" water in there for quite awhile.

It does look like it went down in the past week though as maxtremors said. In any case though 9.96 to 9.85 i would say is essentially a flat reading, but could be up some/down some when you figure some margin of error(both the equipment and the human factor of doing the test)

What size if your tank? Is it AOI or have a sump?

OP
OP
S

sabyhappy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you did the "full turnover" but unless it was literally draining the whole thing and refilling you will have some of that "old" water in there for quite awhile.

It does look like it went down in the past week though as maxtremors said. In any case though 9.96 to 9.85 i would say is essentially a flat reading, but could be up some/down some when you figure some margin of error(both the equipment and the human factor of doing the test)

What size if your tank? Is it AOI or have a sump?
It’s a 15 gallon flex the filter is built into the back of the tank
Since I did a 5 gallon water change I thought it would have been down lower then 9.85 after a week since the water was reading 7

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back