Alk rising without dosing?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank and was using instant ocean reef crystals and my alk and calcium were high. I got some new salt with lower parameters and have been doing a water change once or twice a week now. I have never dosed alk but it seems to be rising the next day after a water change. Here is my chart from my trident and it shows how I do a water change to drop my alk but it slowly rises again. What’s the issue?

87E4617E-229C-44FE-A910-E5844DF1F085.png

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on but sometimes if you lower nitrates your alk will rise. Are you heavily stocked or feed a lot? Nitrates kinda acts like an acid that lowers alk

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on but sometimes if you lower nitrates your alk will rise. Are you heavily stocked or feed a lot? Nitrates kinda acts like an acid that lowers alk
I have 5 fish in a 120 and feed once a day so I wouldn’t say it’s heavily stocked. Should I try feeding heavier then?

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if new water has alk it will raise your alk. And also if your lower nitrates your alk will rise. So doing 2 water changes a week will surely raise your alk. Even tho the new salt has lower alk it still adds to the alk that it's in your tank because it has alk. Best to let it slowly wind down or dose alk as it depletes. As long as your nitrates stay in acceptable levels there's no need to do a water change. Keep an eye on alk and mag/calc and dose accordingly.

For example my nitrates take forever to go above 5 ppm. So by keeping an eye on it I need to do a water change every 3 to 4 weeks to keep them there in that area. But my alk goes down roughly 0.2 meq/l per day. So I dose daily to keep it at 7.5 for stability. My calc and mag go down slow. So I test those once a week and dose accordingly.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish in a 120 and feed once a day so I wouldn’t say it’s heavily stocked. Should I try feeding heavier then?
Yeah so just to clarify. If your alk is say 10. But ur new saltwater is 8. It will still raise your alk because you have new/more alkalinity coming in.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something weird is happening because a water change should boost your alk. Not take it away. The only thing I can guess is that the new water hasn't saturated yet. Meaning it hasn't chemically bonded all together. Then the next day it has and that's why you see the rise in alk. I've never tested my water right after a water change. I always test it the next day and see that my levels have rose. Hence the point of doing a water change and to rid excess nutrients.

There's a person on here named Randy holmes farly I believe. And he is also from what I hear a Reef chemist. I believe he would know exactly what's happening in your tank. I would suggest trying to get in touch with him

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to the op’s question could very well be answered within this thread . Read what Randy says here about the relationship between nitrate and alkalinity.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back