Alk slowly dropping after adding apex dos

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so Im dosing BRS 2 part. Have been for a year since I started the tank. 100 Gallon display with 30 gallon sump. I had been manually dosing and was at 50ml daily of both calcium and alk. I am attempting to make life easier by adding a dosing pump. I chose the DOS. 50 ml daily no longer was cutting it. Im dosing all day for both parts. Each dose is 5 min apart and they are only .5ml doses. I am now at 70 ml. I have kept it there for a few 3 days and tested each night. Slow drop from 8.9 to 8.6 to 8.3. Calcium is stable at 450-460. Not sure why all of a sudden my alk consumption is increasing so rapidly since adding a doser. Anyone have any insight? Also, Im using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Im on my second bucket now.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the dosing pumps? Many times they dose more or less than they're rated so you have to measure it to get an idea of what they're really dosing. Once you calibrate I'm sure you'll be back at a true 50ml (unless growth rates pick up).

OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have calibrated both dosing heads twice. They are right on the money as far as thats concerned. That was my first thought too

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and calcium demand drops as alk drops. With manual dosing, perhaps you were spending more time at lower alk, and hence lower demand.

Or perhaps corals like the steady alk level better and are calcifying faster. :)

OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and calcium demand drops as alk drops. With manual dosing, perhaps you were spending more time at lower alk, and hence lower demand.

Or perhaps corals like the steady alk level better and are calcifying faster. :)
@Randy Holmes-Farley I like this logic! I guess I just didnt expect to see such a quick increase. I figured it would increase little by little. Thanks for the input!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back