Alk Steady at 10.7 DKH Should I be worried

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is has rock that is 8 years old sand is 4 years old. Tank had a bad algae bloom roughly 6 months ago. Since then it has been looking the best it ever has.
Parameters are
Salinity 1.025
ALK 10.7DKH
CAl 410
Mag 1230
Nitrate 5
Phos .1
Temp 77F

I have ricordia that have been with me through everything even the algae take over. A 2 headed branching hammer, BTA, GSP, Blastmo (2 new heads forming) and some green little button looking things that hitch hiked on a rock. Everything seems to be opening and growing well with the exception of the BTA. It bubbles daily looks stringy at night but just doesnt seem like its growing. I broadcast feed reef roids once per week and target feed some mysis to the bta 2 times a week. Could my high ALK be stunting my BTA?
1649684382953.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk shoud not have anything to do with the bubble tip. 10.7 is fine so long as you don't want to run an ULNS.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk shoud not have anything to do with the bubble tip. 10.7 is fine so long as you don't want to run an ULNS.
I've never ran ULN my tanks seems unhappy when stuff gets to low. Not a great picture but there is the BTA. I was worried the high ALK might be burning the tentacles. He has been in that same spot since he went into the tank.
1649685149129.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran ULN my tanks seems unhappy when stuff gets to low. Not a great picture but there is the BTA. I was worried the high ALK might be burning the tentacles. He has been in that same spot since he went into the tank.
1649685149129.png

I would'nt be worried too much. High alk "burns" are not really burns. What happens is that, supposedly, the soft tissue of sps corals can't keep up with the increased skeletal growth (caused by high alk), thus resulting in the said "burnt" tips where there is skeleton but no soft tissue. This doesn't relate to anemones.

If you want to encourage growth, consider dropping a piece of fish food onto it every so often (pellets, frozen food, etc.) Mine devour flakes lol

Back