View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Reefer G2+ 350 - 90 Gallons total volume
9months old
Salinity - 1.027
Temp - 77*F
Nitrate - between 0 and 1 (This has been a struggle to get up)
Phosphate - 0.02ppm
Alk - 8.5
Calcium - 415
Magnesium - 1470

I have a brown algae that looks like a mixture of cyano/GHA. It showed up about 2 weeks ago when i noticed i was having issues maintaining an ALK above 8dkh and had a hammer bail out. I swapped from straight Kalkwasser to dosing the Alk portion of a 2part(B-ionic). Alk has been stable at 8.5 for about 2 weeks now. SPS corals are growing and doing just marvelously. Torches are retracted slightly (Could be a different issue). Gonis are doing well, Acans doing well, Favias doing well.. one of my BTA looks like it has seen better days, rarely opening and short tentacles( i may pull this and treat it for bacterial infection). My other BTA seems happy but im concerned.

I was able to syphon this stuff off the rock fairly easily. the flow in the tank isnt enough to move it however.

20240120_060726.jpg 20240120_060738.jpg 20240120_060747.jpg 20240120_060804.jpg

Last edited:

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am batteling prorocentrum right now also. From all my reading Prorocentrum adding a UV will do nothing. These dino move into the rock and sand in the dark. Best is to dose water glass (sodium silicates), no water changes, control NO3 and PO4, stop dosing amino acids/coral foods. You want to cause a diatom bloom to out compete the dino. These are the hardest to get rid of and most toxic

OP
OP
Distracted_Nerd

Distracted_Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am batteling prorocentrum right now also. From all my reading Prorocentrum adding a UV will do nothing. These dino move into the rock and sand in the dark. Best is to dose water glass (sodium silicates), no water changes, control NO3 and PO4, stop dosing amino acids/coral foods. You want to cause a diatom bloom to out compete the dino. These are the hardest to get rid of and most toxic
I am hoping that a mixture of UV, Silica, and black out will help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back