ALK still low...advise please!

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys tried using baking soda to raise ALK? I've read that you can use a teaspoon of it per 50 gallons and it will raise your ALK to 1-2 dkh.

Baking soda will raise alk but not raise ph. If you put the baking soda in the oven to dry it out it becomes soda ash it raises alk and ph. Both are the same stuff that you get from bulk reef supply, but right now it is cheaper for me to buy big bags of baking soda as it is used in swimming pools as it is still stocked at walmart till outdoor swimming is over

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used baked baking soda, on the Randy Holmes-Farley recipe to raise my alk. once I get it where I want, I will use Kalk to maintain it.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the PH this morning and it was 8.1. I got some A&H baking soda and might just add a half teaspoon to see. I will test before and after.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about half a teaspoon of A&H baking soda yesterday, diluted it with RO water, and tested this morning. My ALK went up to almost 8. My CA is gradually coming down and it's at 540 as of this morning. I'm still gonna leave my CA dosing off for the rest of the week and test again by wednesday 'til I get to around 450. It's getting there:smile:

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it yesterday and my ALK is staying around 8.5 and CA is above 500 and MG is 1400. I added another half a teaspoon after 3-4 days from the 1st one. I still got my timer on for ALK but not for CA. Some of my SPS are still having STN since my ALK got messed up..just hoping they recover.

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this same problem. Super high Calc and low PH and ALK. I switched salts from ReefSalt to Salinity, and I've done 2 WC's over the past week with Salinity. I'll test it again today and see if it's helped any.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
semi off subject, but I personally wouldn't be too concerned with alk in the 6.5 to 7 range. Many zeo tank run in this area. Also, the totm on RC this month runs at 5 or something. Seems that stability is way more important than the actual number (w/in reason).

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running my ALK at 7 before and it was fine, but like you said, stability is the key. I just want to bump my ALK to around 8-9 to have some insurance.

I'm using Salinity and did a my routine 15 gallons water change this past sunday. I do a bi-weekly schedule. The baking soda helped a lot to get it up where I want it to be. Now I just hope my SPS recovers from this and regain their color.

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used baked baking soda, on the Randy Holmes-Farley recipe to raise my alk. once I get it where I want, I will use Kalk to maintain it.

this will lower your PH soda ash will raise PH levels

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back