ALK still low...advise please!

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk is staying at around 6.5-7.0 for the past few weeks and I can tell by the looks of my SPS, it's getting bad. My CA is pretty high at 600 and MG is still at 1400. I took my CA off line for almost 5 days now and did a water change last night, plus added more ALK with the water change water, but still the same level. Any tips to bring up my ALK to around 8-9? TIA!

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using my API but ran out and got an ELOS a couple days back. I'll test again later tonight. Some of the sticks are turning pale but still got PE.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca is too high in my opinion you won't be able to raise alk till you lower the ca

What's the best way to lower CA? I turned the pump off for my CA for 5 days now and it's not budging much.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Salinity by seachem. How about getting 5 clams?....JK.

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way I've done this in the past is to mix up about a 30percent water change and use your alkalinity additive in your mixed water to raise it 4 points above your tank water so if dkh in new mixed water is 6.5-7 raise new mixed water to 10-11dkh also do the recommended dose to you tank 2hrs before water change this should bring your alk from 6.5-7 to the 8 range
Also it's important to test your alk at the same time each day so after this water change test a couple hours later then test at that same time the next day and dose if necessary ! Hope this helps and works

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my water change last night and added more ALK but i guess it wasn't enough to bring it up. I'll do another water change after 1 week. Thanks Oiseau Reefer!

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tossing in another idea...
Have significant stray voltage in your tank?
I mention it because the only time I've had a Ca level of 600 ppm and an Alk of 6 dKH was when I had knocked the 9V DC plug (AC wall adapter) from one of my PinPoint monitors into the sump by accident. It was in there a good 15 min or so before I noticed it, which doesn't seem like long, but it was long enough to take my numbers from 380 - 400 ppm Ca and 9 dKH to 600+ ppm Ca and 6 dKH. I had to do a couple water changes in order to balance things back out again.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fsn77- No stray voltage and equipment inside the sump that I know of...I'll double check later today, thanks.

beaslbob- not running a CA reactor just 2 part(warner marine). I'm gonna try to do some water changes then maybe baking soda if my ALK stays at 6.5-7.0. Thanks!

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca over 500 and you will see precipitation in the tank. Are the heaters and pumps covered in a white film?

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested ALK and CA..alk got better and went up to 7.5 and CA went down a little bit to 580 and MG still at around 1350-1400. It's better:bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys tried using baking soda to raise ALK? I've read that you can use a teaspoon of it per 50 gallons and it will raise your ALK to 1-2 dkh.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a teaspoon away of getting my target range of 8-9 dkh. I'm gonna stick with my regimen and try the baking soda later if my ALK does not go up in a week or so.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back