Alk suppliment solidifying at end of RO tubing w/ Dosing pump

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Thrive Aquatics Alk supplement with a BM-101 dosing pump. I am having this issue where the liquid solidifies on the end of the RO tubing and clogs up. I've tried decreasing the amount of times it doses per day from 12 to 4 thinking that a very slow drip would make it easier to solidify.

Any ever have this issue with Thrive? or other alk supplements? Anyone find a way to fix it?

Thanks!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sodium Bicarbonate dyi in my doser 24 times a day with no issues. Lot cheaper and does a great job.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to drip more frequently to prevent this, not less.

The leftovers at the end of the tube are simply evaporating. Putting a syringe dispensing tip on your hose-end may do the trick as well, but I haven't experimented much. Like what comes with all Salifert Ca, Mg and alkalinity kits for the end of their 1 mL syringe:
tapered-dispensing-tips-16220-2630531.jpg

There is nothing special about what other folks are dripping. :)

-Matt

OP
OP
S

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to drip more frequently to prevent this, not less.

The leftovers at the end of the tube are simply evaporating. Putting a syringe dispensing tip on your hose-end may do the trick as well, but I haven't experimented much. Like what comes with all Salifert Ca, Mg and alkalinity kits for the end of their 1 mL syringe:
tapered-dispensing-tips-16220-2630531.jpg

There is nothing special about what other folks are dripping. :)

-Matt

That is a great idea, and plenty of them leftover from test kits too.

I contacted thrive and they actually told me to dilute the solution with RO water... Kind of strange to sell a product that you need to dilute but i guess that it makes it more versatile. If i was dosing by hand id rather does a smaller amount.

I'm going to try that syringe tip first. I'll let you know if it works with this product.

While other solutions might be cheaper this is a what I have left and the convenience is fine with me for now. I'll look into other things to does with later assuming they will be just as consistent.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted thrive and they actually told me to dilute the solution with RO water... Kind of strange to sell a product that you need to dilute but i guess that it makes it more versatile. If i was dosing by hand id rather does a smaller amount.
Consider this a good thing, as most companies will try to sell you water down 'additives' ;)

I use ESV 2-part and have the same issue over time. I keep a 50/50 vinegar:water spray bottle nearby and spray the end of the tubing from time to time which eats it right up. If you don't use much [vinegar spray] it will have no effect on water chemistry.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube needs to be suspended above the water, if the tube is in contact with the aquarium water it will cause the chemical to solidify in the tube. Raise the tube up and out of the water and you will cease to have this problem.

OP
OP
S

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good point Stunreefer. I've asked them if I need to keep the mix constantly agitated, which would be a pain.

-Logzor, It is suspended above the water. If it actually touches the water some sort of capillary action forms and the water sneaks up the tube and slowly drains it into the tank. It solidifies if part of it evaporates just sitting out in the open air. I've been trying to make a good dosing container for it so there is minimum evap.

OP
OP
S

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI to everyone, I've been messing around with the test kit tips and it doesn't seem much better. I tried setting it as vertically as possible and at an angle but droplets still form at the tip. I think I am going to just have to dilute it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilution just increases the time before it happens.

You could try the opposite tactic and increase the diameter of the outlet - more area = more time between clogs.

It's a simple factor of evaporation of the residual solution...there are only going to be half-solutions until your time between drips gets below the time to encrustation. This is the key.

-Matt

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk would solidify as well. I would just break off the encrusting alk or what turned out to be a solution was the addition off a four way splitter.

OP
OP
S

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilution just increases the time before it happens.

You could try the opposite tactic and increase the diameter of the outlet - more area = more time between clogs.

It's a simple factor of evaporation of the residual solution...there are only going to be half-solutions until your time between drips gets below the time to encrustation. This is the key.

-Matt

More area also means more solution exposed to the elements and more evaporation. So this would have the same effect as dilution, its still just a matter of time. So what I need to find out is a combination of the two that works best. I've tried slicing the RO tubing into a point hoping that all reminants would drip off at the end but that did not work. That largely increased the surface area.

Mine does the sane thing I am following this

Are you using thrive?

My Alk would solidify as well. I would just break off the encrusting alk or what turned out to be a solution was the addition off a four way splitter.
An airline splitter solved your issue? I wonder if one of those airline drippers would drip well enough.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same thing with Reef Fusion Alkalinity, but it doesn't clog the tube at all or impede my doser. It basically forms a crust around the end of the dosing line and forms a "tube" that doesn't impede dosing at all. I never thought of it as a problem and just break it off and throw it out every few months when I notice it getting really big. That's the problem with having an automated doser on a tiny nano - you aren't constantly dosing so it has lots of time to evaporate between doses.

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to try running a "y" connector from your top off water line into your alkalinity line. That way the alk line would get rinsed periodically throughout the day with fresh water. If it works, would be a super easy and super inexpensive fix that would require no manual intervention. If your top off isn't triggered all that frequently it may one of no benefit. Can't guarantee if it would work but may well be worth a try.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS Soda Ash and it does the same thing suspended over my sumps water line by about 6". The end of the tube will encrust and harden. I have actually had it encrust one time to the point that it forced it out of the tube at the dosing pump. So now I pay a little more attention and look at it every time I fill my ATO reservoir.

Fuzzy, I like your idea of using a splitter and so that the ATO flushes the line. I may have to give that a try this weekend. Good thinking! ;)

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefKnight...please advise results if you give it a try. It's just a theory of mine that crossed my mind after I got out of the hobby (currently tankless and planning to return...hopefully soon) so I have no proven results on the idea. Would love to hear how it goes for you. Keep us posted. Good luck!

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased and installed the a "Y" fitting yesterday. That's all my local store had, but it'll all work the same. I'll give some updates soon on how this works out. I think it's a stroke of genius! Why didn't I think of this? [emoji38]

FuzzySPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Yes, please do provide updates. The only potential negative I can think of would be when both the dosing and top off pumps are running simultaneously, the (presumably) higher pressure from the dosing pump would prevail but...since, I would think this to be a coincidental and probably infrequent occurrence the overall impact on alk levels would/should be deminimis and easily rectified by monitoring alk levels to see if there is a material change over time and adjusting alk doses accordingly. I guess if it were (and I think I'm searching hard for an unlikely event here) one could resort to dosing alk at night when top off activity would be nominal, if any at all. Hope it works out! Anxious to hear how it goes!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back