Alk swing

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I usally run 9.5 to 10 but today I woke up and noticed my birds nest was a bit more closed than usual. I tested my alk and sure enough it was at 8.5 as I havent been dosing my kalk because I was trying to raise my salinity after I messed up during a water change. So I filled my dripper with a high kalk solution and dripped it over the last 8 hours. I guess it was dripping faster than I thought and I tested tn and it's at 10.5 do you think my sps will suffer after a alk swing from 8.5 to 10.5 in the span of 8 hours. I was thinking I might do a water change but things look ok right now so I didnt rush into anything yet.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SPS could suffer, but if everything looks okay, then I would proceed as you mentioned. Take it slow and make the adjustments over time, but monitor closely. Subtle and minor adjustments will get you back to where you want minus shocking the corals.

OP
OP
Brandon3152134

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SPS could suffer, but if everything looks okay, then I would proceed as you mentioned. Take it slow and make the adjustments over time, but monitor closely. Subtle and minor adjustments will get you back to where you want minus shocking the corals.
Would you do the water change or just leave it cause I literally just did one yesterday

OP
OP
Brandon3152134

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do the water change or just leave it cause I literally just did one yesterday
I did a water change last week and that's were I messed up my salinity so this week I havent been adding my fresh water or kalk and did another yesterday to finally completely fix the issue and get my levels back near normal.

OP
OP
Brandon3152134

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salt mix usally mixes at 10 so I dont know if a wc would do anything.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it be for now to minimize any potential aggressive changes (not saying that is what would happen), and let things stabilize a few days. Check parameters daily for a couple days and adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
Brandon3152134

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it be for now to minimize any potential aggressive changes (not saying that is what would happen), and let things stabilize a few days. Check parameters daily for a couple days and adjust accordingly.
Good idea thx I havent had this tank have any crashes on me so just a bit stressful lol

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you there. It's not fun when trying to get things back in line (been there). Just remember "slow" and "stability" are your friends in this hobby, unless there is an absolute dire emergency. Glad to help. Happy Reefing :)

Back