Alk test results

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I recently got a Hanna Alk tester as I trust it to remove more user error in testing. here is my issue: using my old drop checker (seachem I think, I can check when I get home) I would consistently get readings near 4-5 dkh. when I tested with the Hanna checker, new test but expired (4/22) reagent (didn't look at it in the store)i get a reading of 10+ in one tank and close to 13 in the other.

Method for testing with the color change: with a clean pipet fill cup with tank water, put 1 drop reagent in, stir, repeat till color change (usually 8-9 drops), divide by two per directions for Dkh.
Method with Hanna: fill clean cuvette with tank water, invert a few times, get baseline reading, add reagent and mix, clean outside of cuvette with old t-shirt rag, get results. multiply ppm by .056 for dkh.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my Hanna alk I checked it with a freinds. Using both reagents in both testers witht he same sample of water we got a difference of .9 dKH between high and low. Does that big a difference matter, probably not, researchers are using the meq method which is a lot less accurate than the dKH method. But I went back to API as it's easier and was clearly as accurate or more accurate than Hanna's alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that big a difference matter, probably not, researchers are using the meq method which is a lot less accurate than the dKH method.

What does that mean? The unit of measure used is not an indication of the method used to generate a value.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back